NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 12th, 2018, 17:58
NAXJA Forum User

My braking point!

For more than 20 yrs, I've dealt/suffered with XJ brakes(I tow my trailer everywhere with me). 10 yrs ago I did the best upgrade on my 2000 utilizing XJ parts that I knew of, but that still wasn't enough. 2 yrs ago I set out on a quest to find the best OEM style upgrade that I could find(knowing that I had a stroker coming). After a lot of pads and master cylinders I think I have come close(for my needs/wants). I have been considering going to DOT 5.1 fluid as I've had altitude boiling in the past, but that's still to be done. I still have one possible trick to try, but.....

Stock 2000 dual brake booster and proportioning valve
WJ front calipers with EBC Truck Yellowstuff pads
KJ rear calipers with EBC Truck Yellowstuff pads
Durango 1-1/8" master cylinder

The braking at this point is incredible so I don't think much more can be achieved, with the bias great and the pedal travel very minimum like I prefer!
Old September 12th, 2018, 22:19
NAXJA Forum User

Re: My braking point!

Nice that you found a solution. I installed Black Magic pads with centric rotors and that alone made a huge difference. I love the Black Magic pads. Worth every penny. I know longer have to deploy a parachute to stop.
Old September 12th, 2018, 22:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_surgeonfish View Post
Nice that you found a solution. I installed Black Magic pads with centric rotors and that alone made a huge difference. I love the Black Magic pads. Worth every penny. I know longer have to deploy a parachute to stop.

Oh yeah.... I do have a Dana 44 in rear with discs so it is not completely stock. But the BM pads on front and rear work very well.
Old September 13th, 2018, 10:13
NAXJA Member #1310

My 2001 XJ has almost an exact copy of the braking system you run, with the exception of Vanco front brakes.
The Vancos originally came with EBC Yellow pads, I loved the hot performance, as good as any pad but they didn't grab well at very cold temps, needing to warm up first.
Talking with Blaine, the designer of the Vanco brakes, he suggested a new pad he was selling, the Black Magic pads. He said they worked well hot or cold.
Wow, what a difference, great performance on hot days as well as cold winter days, no warm up needed.
01 Sport, 4.6L Russ Pottenger 4.6, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, NP242, Towing baseplate
Old September 13th, 2018, 11:38
NAXJA Forum User

I've never had a problem getting my brakes to temp, it's always been cooling. When I lost my brakes coming into Telluride, by the time I stopped my rotors measured 480*!