NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 19th, 2003, 06:45
NAXJA Forum User

Wheel Stud Replacement

My good buddies at the tire shop cross threaded a lug nut and rammed that baby on with their 2000 ft-lb air wrench. When the next poor chump (me) took that wheel off the lug wrung off so now there is just a broken stub. So the Einsteins at the tire place are saying 'don't worry, we'll take care of you.' I say 'YOU'VE ALREADY TAKEN CARE OF ME.' Thanks very much. So I am wanting to just fix it myself and I have a couple of questiones:

1. Removing broken lug seems straight-forward enough. Just drill it out, right? If I have to, nibble it away with a dremel tool. Is there a better way?

2. Can I 'press' the new stud in by just pulling it into position by tightening a nut on the wheel side? I would imagine a beefy washer under the nut to spread the load would be good. Is this a practical approach to installing the stud?

In an ideal world I guess the most correct method would be to pull that axle out and do both operations with a press. I just want to do it on the vehicle. Hope this question is not so simple that I am insulting anyone's intelligence out there. I am just wanting to get my XJ fixed right and I will do it in my driveway if I can. TIA for all suggestions..................
Old August 19th, 2003, 06:51
Lifetime NAXJA Member

No need to remove the axle. Some have pounded out old studs but I think that can cause internal damage. Drill is better.

You're on the right track on setting the new one. I would use two washers, with anti-sieze between them so they can slip. Get an old open lug nut and reverse it, or any standard 1/2-20 nut, so you have a flat surface bearing on the washers rather than a taper. Be sure the splines are lined up before you start pulling it through.

This is why I never let shops take my wheels off. One of the advantages of having an MJ is that I can toss a set of wheels in the back and take 'em down loose. This also saves arguments about "We can't put that size tire on a Cherokee."

Owner/Driver/Enabler of "The Fleet"
Self-appointed President-for-Life of the World MJ Preservation Society
Old August 19th, 2003, 06:56
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks Eagle - You Da Man !!

I just don't want to screw it up. Thanks for the advice.
Old August 19th, 2003, 12:29
Member Number 257

Front or rear? It really does matter!
Old August 20th, 2003, 04:21
NAXJA Forum User

REAR - 8.25 Chrysler

Sorry Ghost..... yep it's the left (driver's side) rear. Gonna do it this weekend.
Old August 20th, 2003, 05:54
Member Number 257

Ok that should not be bad then. The front however can be a bear. I had to pull my hub out a little to get the new stud in. What I did was put an old lug nut on it and knocked it out with a rubber mallet. But mine was broken not cross threaded.
Old August 20th, 2003, 09:27
NAXJA Forum User

An impact chisel may be of some use in removing the old stud.
one of my favorite tools