NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 17th, 2003, 17:03
NAXJA Forum User

Steering wheel off after wheeling

I am running the stock steering setup. I just had my jeep aligned and the steering wheel adjusted to centerline steering. After going wheeling today the steering wheel is off about 1 clock position. All of the steering components are new except the adjusting sleeve and the tie rod. Nothing is bent.
Any ideas?
TIA
Old May 17th, 2003, 17:43
NAXJA Forum User

either you screwed up your steering box or your draglink adjuster sleeve just slipped out of adjustment. Or possibly, wheeling caused the front end to settle a bit.
Point your wheels straight forward and adust your draglink sleeve till your wheel is straight. It won't affect anything else.
Old May 17th, 2003, 17:45
Lifetime NAXJA Member

Look more closely. If it was straight before and it isn't straight now, something either bent or got knocked out of position.

Owner/Driver/Enabler of "The Fleet"
Self-appointed President-for-Life of the World MJ Preservation Society
Old May 17th, 2003, 17:56
NAXJA Forum User

BTW: It still tracks straight going down the free way doing 75mph.
Old May 17th, 2003, 19:22
NAXJA Forum User

Lazy bones here finally got around to adjusting the steering wheel position today (lift completed a week ago). I was surprised to find how "loose" the drag link sleeve strap bolts were. After I finished bringing the steering wheel back to centre I snugged them up nice an tight. Not a comforting thought, having "loose" steering components - whatever they are.
Old May 17th, 2003, 20:16
NAXJA Forum User

Mine does the same thing. It gets off of center after 'wheeling it hard. It usually goes away after a little on-road driving. Just as a precaution,though,I always get under there and check all my steering stuff,and especially the track bar mount,which is notorious for the bolts working loose while off roading.
Old May 17th, 2003, 22:19
NAXJA Member #184

Mine did that after coming down off a couple ledges. Knocked alignment all out of wack. Funny thing, though it still tracked straight on the highway just like yours. My adjustment sleeve was later found to be very loose also.
Old May 17th, 2003, 22:52
NAXJA Member #687

look again the draglink likes to bend right at the threads near the adjusting sleeve.
Old May 18th, 2003, 23:28
NAXJA Forum User

Another thing to think about, but I don't really know how to check it accurately is the bend in the drag-link. XJ and TJ drag-links like to flatten out the bend that allows the drag-link toclear the sway-bar tab, thus causing your steering wheel to come out of center. Last summer I realized that the TRE from the tie-rod was hitting the bolt of the trac-bar at the axle. That is my guess since you just went wheeling.
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:01
NAXJA Member

Deisel said it right, the draglink is bending (or straighening out) at the big curve area. This the biggest problem with the basic steering design of the XJ/TJ. Some guys will gusset this area to help prevent this or go to a HD setup like the Currie linkage.

mark
orgs mfg
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:04
NAXJA Member

Oh yah, to fix it just lossen the adjuster clamps andturn the sleeve until your steering wheel is back in place. Make sure your wheels are pointing straight first. Drive back and forth until you think they are straight then do the adjustment. You might need to drive it between fine adjustments.

mark
orgs mfg
Old May 19th, 2003, 13:03
On a Time Out

WPWP
:next:
Old May 23rd, 2003, 18:48
NAXJA Forum User

I've determined that my drag link is bent. It's bent right above where the tie rod attaches to it. Does this affect the toe?
Today while driving into a rather steep driveway I had the steering wheel at full right lock and when I proceeded into the drive way I heard a loud clunk on the right side. what was the clunk? But now my steering wheel is back to the straight ahead while going straight ahead. WTF is going on? Anyone, anyone?
Enlighten me please.
TIA
Old May 23rd, 2003, 18:58
NAXJA Forum User

The factory drag link "is" bent back towards the rear just outside of the tie rod,is this what your talking about?It sounds like your trackbar is moving(real common even when it appears tight).

Most all of the factory hardware has a "loose" fit.One of the reasons is because they use "extruded" threads,which means the shank has a reduced diameter as compared to the threads.The best thing everyone can do is buy bolts with full shanks,in either american or metric whichever fits best!Ive got no play with these sizes:

LCA's>9/16"
Tracbar>7/16"

Last edited by RCP Phx; May 23rd, 2003 at 19:09.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 22:59
NAXJA Forum User

the tie rod is bent above the tie rod. It is bent downward, towards the tie rod. I don't know if this helps. But that is all I can see that is wrong.