• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Wheel Cylinder

Manuel

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 Jeep Cherokee with 4WD.
I'm getting ready to do a brake job this weekend.
I know my front disks need replacing and I know my rear wheel cylinders both have leaks. I've been putting off replacing the cylinders/changing the seals.

Well, I have been finding out that it appears the rear drums for my vehicle come with either 9" or 10" drums.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but when they refer to the diameter, are they referring to the inner diameter of the drums??

I need to know this in order to get the right wheel cylinder kit or wheel cylinder.

Thanks,
Manuel

FYI
For anyone with a 99 Cherokee w/ 4WD, I took off the wheels last night. It was built in March of 1999.

The rear drum diameter is 9 inches.
The overall height of the front rotor is 3 1/16.

I can now order my parts.

Manuel

Is the 9 inch drum you have on a Dana 35 or Chryco 8.25? (does it have ABS?)
I believe one is the 9 and the other is the 10 incher.

JEEPZZ said:
I guess only the D44 came with 10 inch brakes. My D44 drums measured 10 x 2.5.

No, the early Dana 35s came with 10 x 1.75" drums. Chrysler changed to 9" drums in either '90 or '91.

Eagle said:
No, the early Dana 35s came with 10 x 1.75" drums. Chrysler changed to 9" drums in either '90 or '91.
biggthumpup.gif

That's right. The D44s have 10 inch drums, but they are wider than the D35 10 inchers.

Back