• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winter Wheeling and Trail Maintenance - 1/18 - 1/19

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Join me for a weekend of some fun up in the SBNF January 18 through 19. The plan is to start and end with some light trail maintenance. I expect this to mostly be a patrol run with some light brushing. In between that we'll hit whatever trails we can along the way.

While this weekend will be a fly by the seat of your pants affair here is the rough plan:

0900, Saturday January 18.
Meet at trailhead of 2N49 Map

After we're through 2N49 we'll move East using trails as time permits. I'd like to camp at a Yellow Post East of Crab Flats on Saturday night. Sunday we'll continue to wheel our way to 2N04 where we will do another patrol/light maintenance run. We can then leave the mountain via highway 38.

You'll want to bring warm clothes, a good sleeping bag if camping, loppers, gloves, eye protection, and chains for your tires along with the regular items you'd bring to any trip.

You in?

Last edited:
Are chains strictly necessary?

You'll have to ask the CHP that just before the event.

One could take dirt on and off the mountain if conditions permit but the CHP is requiring carrying or installing chains.

Are chains strictly necessary?

To answer the chain question from 1st hand experience and an ex enforcer. No if you are not going "UP" on state highway. However if you have an accident coming down chances are you will be cited therefore ruled liable. The state regulation states that all vehicle 2, 4wd, or awd, must carry, chains no exceptions! The only way the state checks is when snow conditions are in effect at the Cal Trans chains check points. Check points are located in different locations on each particular highway! Once again depending on snow fall elevations, but usually at passing lane sections. On the 330 they are at the lower passing near the Ranger station, at the middle passing, and upper passing just past Live Oak Drive. You could by pass the usual upper check point and take Live Oak but if there is snow the locals do not even like taking it because it is STEEP. If there is snow but the highways are plowed/clear and no weather is expected chances are you will not need them or be checked. As far as CA18 & 38 I do not know those check points but they will be at passing lanes. Hope this helps!

Lol, I work all of two to three weekends a year and that's one. Might make one of the days.

Wish i could join. I will be camping at Calico that that weekend.

Maybe depending on finances and domestic situation.

walmart sells chains for 35"s?

4WP does. $85 when I bought my conventional chains (in 2007 or so).

I wouldn't let the chains thing hang you up. With the way that the weather has been lately there may not even be a chain restriction.

I may be able to make it, depending on how 4643 is doing. Not sure if I'd continue thru Sunday or turn around & come back down Saturday.

I don't have chains for my 31s, and would probably skip going if they're really needed.

Forecast through Tuesday calls for 70s-80's and no rain. Doubt the chains will be needed unless the Polar Vortex sucks up SoCal.

But who knows what NEXT week will bring... =)

Back