• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Horn No Worky "new" steering wheel

Sleepydog

NAXJA Forum User
I just swapped my steering wheel on my 90 MJ to a factory 3 spoke version ( I had the plain jane station wagon style). When I installed the new wheel, it didn't seem to have a place to connect the horn wire - as a result I have no horn. Did I miss something or is there another part I need to pull from the boneyard?

Any help would be appreciated

I think you need to get the contact off the vehicle the wheel came off of. It takes the place of the wire that push & turns into the cancelling cam, and should be three pieces, the contact, a spring, and a plastic bushing. If you don't find one, try a GM dealer, I think the kit was part# 474102, but I'm assuming Jeep/GM used the same column parts for the horn.

My horn no worky either. How can I test to see if it is the steering wheel switch or the blasters in the front? B/C some times it works, but more often than not it doesn't!

To test your horn (blaster) just run a hot lead from the battery to the electrical connection on the back of the horn. This will tell you if the horn is defective or if it's something else. Good Luck

Woody

Ghost-

Try turning the steering wheel to different positions and pushing the pad. Sometimes the slip ring on the cancelling cam gets dirty/worn so it doesn't get good contact with the brush sticking out of the turn signal switch. If the blaster worky with the wheel turned to a different spot, this might be your problem. You also might want to swap horn relays from another Jeep to see if that makes any difference.

Not much to testing the horn switch (pad), if yours is like the base wheel in mine, two screws in the back to remove the pad, two wires, jump across them to bypass the switch. I'm not familiar with the 3 spoke wheel Sleepydog has, but if it has no wire to the center cap (and no switch) like he describes, i'm guessing it's like other GM wheels, the center cap has plastic tabs that snap into a metal cup or ring that holds it in place. The cup/ring is 'hot', and by pushing the center cap you tilt the cup/ring and ground it to the wheel.

Back