NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 25th, 2003, 00:54
NAXJA Forum User

Loose Steering Wheel?

When the outside temperature dipped below freezing I would get a little play in the steering wheel. I could feel it release as I turned the wheel side to side with a completely dead area in between. You can feel it clunk too. It only took a few minutes of the engine running before the looseness went away and the steering was tight. Well, now it happens when it's 70 or below, the dead area has gotten larger, and it's taking 10-15 minutes before it goes away. Obviously, it's getting worse. Replacing the steering pump and box made no difference. What do you think could be the cause? I had thought about the steering wheel bolts but the looseness goes away as the engine warms up, and doesn't appear to be affected by the temp in the cab. Thanks,

Tom