• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Expedition Build: Yellow Jeep XJ

Are you still running the two previous cats or did you toss them with the new header? And are you stuck with the 0331 cylinder head?

Already replaced the old pre-cats with new ones.
So the entire exhaust and air intake has been replaced or upgraded.

Unfortunately I do have the 0331 head.
But no indication that it is cracked.
No oil in my coolant, no coolant in my valve cover.
Just did a compression check today actually.
Numbers seem within spec.

Compression Test Results:

1. 148
  2. 140
  3. 149
  4. 138
  5. 155
  6. 155

Already replaced the old pre-cats with new ones.
So the entire exhaust and air intake has been replaced or upgraded.

Unfortunately I do have the 0331 head.
But no indication that it is cracked.
No oil in my coolant, no coolant in my valve cover.
Just did a compression check today actually.
Numbers seem within spec.

Compression Test Results:

1. 148
  2. 140
  3. 149
  4. 138
  5. 155
  6. 155
Good call on the new exhaust. My factory rear (3rd?) Cat weighed a ton.
As for the 0331... good luck. There is no rhythm or reason behind their failure. Mine went out of the blue at around 160-1650k. Sitting in traffic (fall time so cool) and one second it was fine, the next I had a massive temp spike.
I knew what it was as soon as it happened, drove it anyway while carefully keeping the coolant full but it was a done deal. Had I put it on the wrecker immediately I probably could have saved the bottom end but I didn't. Drove it maybe 2 months back and forth to work before calling it done. Sadly it idled just fine and drove normal until it ran out of coolant, that way right into the shop for its transplant. More scary was the resulting block cracks that you'd never see without pulling the intake and exhaust.
b819edb8f766e842870f0e946c3c4147.jpg
278959d2ccede294c30ae234addbc13d.jpg
7ae6e0aa4dca023a4c2e6540ccfaaa25.jpg

Good call on the new exhaust. My factory rear (3rd?) Cat weighed a ton.
As for the 0331... good luck. There is no rhythm or reason behind their failure. Mine went out of the blue at around 160-1650k. Sitting in traffic (fall time so cool) and one second it was fine, the next I had a massive temp spike.

Been keeping an eye on it for symptoms, since I know the history of those 0331 heads.
I have had a few boil overs in the past, but not since I replaced my entire coolant system.

Rule of thumb for "healthy" is all cylinders within 10% of the high reading, so you are a little outside of that but I wouldn't sweat it without any symptoms.
I would consider removing the bench seat entirely and building a hinged deck from the bench's pivots to the rear of the bucket seats. Put your "If we need it, we've got time..." sort of items in there, like the jack & gear oil & junk like that.

Rule of thumb for "healthy" is all cylinders within 10% of the high reading, so you are a little outside of that but I wouldn't sweat it without any symptoms.
I would consider removing the bench seat entirely and building a hinged deck from the bench's pivots to the rear of the bucket seats. Put your "If we need it, we've got time..." sort of items in there, like the jack & gear oil & junk like that.

I think that's what I may do. I like jeepdreamer's idea of flip up storage, just more customized like you mentioned. This would work seamlessly with a cargo drawer setup.

Have a cargo drawer setup in the back with 6" of height, connected to a hinged section where the back seat used to be. When flat it serves it's purpose as a deck all the way to the back seats. Hinged area promotes a larger storage area underneath where the seat used to be. The drawer system will have around a 6" height from the original cargo floor, which will give much more room for storage in the new hinged compartment area.
I can still load equipment and secure it, sleep on it in severe weather since it is actually a longer deck that the original cargo area. I have slept in the cargo area with the seat down, and it is enough room for me and my girlfriend. So the extended deck would be nice.

Rear Cargo Customization

I was looking to maximize the use of space in the rear cargo area.
Saw a couple of pics on a thread where a gun rack is used for tool storage.
Picked up a couple of cheap ones for now to test the set up.

First impressions are that the racks are too inset in the window bay,
limiting the size of equipment to be attached.
Did not like wedging rack into window gasket to mount.
But this is a test of the overall setup of using rear hatch and window space.
I will establish a more rugged system later.

Also mounted a shovel on the rear hatch.
Drilled a hole through the metal, drilled a hole in the trim, slid the bolt through trim with washers and nuts securing both sides of the plastic trim, slide shovel on and secure with wingnut. Other side of shovel is simply slide in place into a hanger.
To remove shovel simply spin wingnut and remove shovel.
To reattach slide in hanger on handle side, then slide bolt through shovel on business end, and attach wingnut.

This is all just a preliminary test, as I will refine this setup over time to:
maximize space and ease of access to equipment, as well as shorten time to locate and remove tools for use.

Rear Setup
IMG_0149_zpse5fososb.jpg

Shovel Mount
IMG_0154_zpswktrqhlv.jpg

Rear Window Mounts Drivers Side
IMG_0157_zpszwho5ywd.jpg

Rear Window Mounts Passengers Side
IMG_0156_zpsm35ykwtr.jpg

Interior View
IMG_0139_zps2vt0ubsw.jpg

You need two shovels and two axes/hatchets?

You need two shovels and two axes/hatchets?

I prefer it, yes.

Axes

One axe has a splitting head, the other a chopping head.
Specialized for slightly different purposes.
Both the axes and shovels have different handle lengths, and as such are more suitable to different situations.
Full length for chopping a tree and clearing a trail, smaller for splitting hatchet.

Shovels

Different sized handled shovels for different purposes.
Longer handles give one more leverage, but when space and clearance is an issue a shorter handled trench shovel is more optimal (under a vehicle for example).

Group Effectiveness

This also provides equipment to multiple people when applicable, thus increasing effectiveness of a group and substantially reducing time of a vehicle recovery.

Redundancy

I also prefer redundancy in the event of equipment failure.
When miles from civilization, the right equipment can mean the difference between a recovery situation and a survival situation.
Handles break, equipment can fail. Having a contingency plan and equipment backups is crucial.

Multipurpose

Every equipment in this rig has two purposes, though some have a single mission critical purpose. And there are backups for most equipment in case another fails. While slightly different and specialized, they can perform the other ones function in case of loss or failure.

Expeditions

When going on expeditions in rugged environments where one is out for days or weeks at a time, having the right equipment and preparation is key to survival. Everything in this expedition vehicle has a backup and fail safe in order to insure that the vehicle and occupants can achieve it's goals.

Dude, your location reads New Hampshire. What rugged environment are you going to be out in for weeks at a time? Shipping this thing to Cairo for a trip down to Cape Town? Driving to the Straight of Magellan?
A trip through the White Mountains requires no more than a spare tire, a jack & a blanket in the back of the car.

Dude, your location reads New Hampshire. What rugged environment are you going to be out in for weeks at a time? Shipping this thing to Cairo for a trip down to Cape Town? Driving to the Straight of Magellan?
A trip through the White Mountains requires no more than a spare tire, a jack & a blanket in the back of the car.

You are correct, I live in New Hampshire.
New England has some rugged back country.
That being said, New England is not the limits of this vehicle's travels.

This Jeep XJ is an expedition build which has sustained 2 people on the road for over a month with over 9K miles traveled in a single cross country trip in October 2015. On this trip it crossed one continent, and reached 3 bodies of water (Atlantic, Pacific, and the Gulf of Mexico). Under full load of gear we wheeled in Centralia PA, "Fins and Things" Moab UT, Medano Pass CO, Mojave Desert CA, "Soldiers Pass" Sedona AZ and more in one cross country trip. We set up camp in each of these locations. From 80 on the interstate, to cities, country, asphalt, dirt, rock, mud, clay, sand and water this build has proved itself capable.
It made it through floods, a heavy late monsoon season with remnants of Hurricane Patricia with 30+ MPH winds while traveling back east.
All in one trip.

Earlier this year we took this Jeep from New Hampshire to Key West the southern most point in the U.S.
We traveled the coast by driving paved roads, dirt roads, beaches etc.

And that s just a few of the trips this XJ has made this year.
This rig has traveled up, down and across the United States in 2015.

I haven't made it to Africa nor South America yet, but I will let you know when I do.

If you are a minimalist, I respect that. And let the equipment in your build reflect that.
My build is for expedition purposes, and my equipment reflects that.
You don't need to agree with it, simply respect it.
You take want you want in your rig, and I will take what I want in mine.

P.s. If you think that is a lot of gear, you should see what I have in my MOLLE Gear, Plano crates and bug-out bag...

Last edited:
I'm driving to Pennsylvania on New Years. How much stuff should I bring? I'll be gone 2 months.

Seriously though, I'm wondering how much your rig weighs loaded up. Carrying all that extra weight puts more strain on everything causing possible other problems. I didn't notice spare parts like axle shafts, drive shafts, sensors etc. A broken axle shaft will ruin your day much faster than not having a second slightly smaller or larger shovel, or having to split wood with a hatchet instead of a hydraulic trailer mounted splitter.

Have you looked on Expedition Portal much? There is a lot of good information, not only in the vehicle forum type sections, but also by reading through trip reports and seeing what people actual end up using vs what they thought they needed. Don't worry though, there are plenty of people there who are not satisfied until they have their vehicle completely full of "gear".

I wasn't trying to be an ass in my first post. I was at the beginning of this post. Just wanted to make that part clear.

I'm driving to Pennsylvania on New Years. How much stuff should I bring? I'll be gone 2 months.

Seriously though, I'm wondering how much your rig weighs loaded up. Carrying all that extra weight puts more strain on everything causing possible other problems. I didn't notice spare parts like axle shafts, drive shafts, sensors etc. A broken axle shaft will ruin your day much faster than not having a second slightly smaller or larger shovel, or having to split wood with a hatchet instead of a hydraulic trailer mounted splitter.

Have you looked on Expedition Portal much? There is a lot of good information, not only in the vehicle forum type sections, but also by reading through trip reports and seeing what people actual end up using vs what they thought they needed. Don't worry though, there are plenty of people there who are not satisfied until they have their vehicle completely full of "gear".

I wasn't trying to be an ass in my first post. I was at the beginning of this post. Just wanted to make that part clear.

Weight

I don't know what the curb weight of the vehicle is at the present time with the current modifications, nor with full load. I am curious myself.
That being said, I am aware of power to weight ratio and am always mindful of it.

Also all of the steering and suspension has been upgraded to compensate for the added weight of the vehicle in regards to armor and gear.

Spare/Replacement Parts

I have a crate that is dedicated specifically for vehicle parts and fluids.
It is brought with me on trails and expeditions. I mention the Plano crates briefly in my "Maximize Space in Cargo Area" section, but did not specify what is in them. But I do tools, parts and fluids. I will post at some point what exactly i carry in these crates.

Overpacking

I believe that both underpacking and overpacking can be equally detrimental to a trail ride, camping excursion or an expedition style trip.
I do run a check list of items I did and did not need, cross referenced with items i did or did not have; and adjust my gear accordingly.
Admittedly it is a constant work in progress. With many test runs of setups being evaluated as I field-test them.

Contrary to popular believe, I am not a gear nut. I have it because I have need it at one time or another. Much of the gear I have I don't use every time, but it doesn't mean I should strike it from the equipment list. A lot of the equipment I carry, I honestly hope that I will never have to use. But I have in just in case. Many times I have been on a trail helping people out with equipment that earlier that day I was catching hell for carrying.
People can become grateful for tools/equipment quickly out in the wilderness when they don't have them. I think everyone of us has had somebody help us out on a trail with something we didn't think to bring at one point in time or another.

In regards to being an Ass

No offense taken. You have questions and some constructive criticism, nothing wrong with that.
That's the whole point of these forums, to share with others our own unique builds and gain outside perspective.

PA Trip

Provide me the purpose of your trip, terrain encountered, weight/space requirement, and a budget. I will work outa recommended inventory, complete with mileage based on weight.

If you are a minimalist, I respect that. And let the equipment in your build reflect that.
My build is for expedition purposes, and my equipment reflects that.
You don't need to agree with it, simply respect it.

Y'know, you're right. I'll try and stuff my snark back where it came from. I really do respect the quality of the build you've got going and if I'd seen the thread in, say, 2008 I'd be trying to duplicate some of it. Some of it doesn't seem necessary to me but obviously, that's based on my experience / preferences and not yours.

Weight

In regards to being an Ass

No offense taken. You have questions and some constructive criticism, nothing wrong with that.
That's the whole point of these forums, to share with others our own unique builds and gain outside perspective.

PA Trip

Provide me the purpose of your trip, terrain encountered, weight/space requirement, and a budget. I will work outa recommended inventory, complete with mileage based on weight.

Nice. Also get the tank mentioned.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1110800

Y'know, you're right. I'll try and stuff my snark back where it came from. I really do respect the quality of the build you've got going and if I'd seen the thread in, say, 2008 I'd be trying to duplicate some of it. Some of it doesn't seem necessary to me but obviously, that's based on my experience / preferences and not yours.

No harm no foul. You may have come out of the gate a little sideways, but all that aside I hear what you're saying. As I mentioned to another member of whom had similar questions and concerns yesterday, there is nothing wrong with some constructive criticism.
"That's the whole point of these forums, to share with others our own unique builds and gain outside perspective."
I consider feedback from one another vital, so that builds are not created in a vacuum. There is valuable input to be gained from others sharing their experience, so that we may learn from the "trail" and error of others.

Two people in one day had concerns about over-packing and weight on this build. Fair enough, then that's something I should at least consider and look into.

I didn't come here for a hug club, I came here to share and learn.
Praises are nice to hear and all, but proper feedback can be more productive to a build.

I've seen the gun racks tried before as well but they always seemed to flimsy, not strong enough to survive in a crash while maintaining items.
I don't know if you rather buy or build but this is an option:
http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/window-storage-racks-jeep-cherokee-xj.html
Ideas along this route are easy enough to make yourself and I think are both more adaptable to various items (same effect as MOLLE gear is) as well as being stronger.
One suggestion on the shovel is turning it around. If you can get the tip to rest again the tailgate you won't crack/gash your head open by accident. :)

With that much gear and traveling distance, I highly recommend one of these:

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=GST3003#.UxefCUvnapo

Thank you both for the links.
I have been looking into those extended range 30 Gallon gas tanks lately.
Also like that fact that it is a rugged construction.
There is a few different brands out there making them, however I like what I see so far from the Genright one.
Definitely interested, and on my list of future mods.
Price is a little tough to get my head around at first, but once you start doing the math it's less of a sting.

I've seen the gun racks tried before as well but they always seemed to flimsy, not strong enough to survive in a crash while maintaining items.
I don't know if you rather buy or build but this is an option:
http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/window-storage-racks-jeep-cherokee-xj.html
Ideas along this route are easy enough to make yourself and I think are both more adaptable to various items (same effect as MOLLE gear is) as well as being stronger.
One suggestion on the shovel is turning it around. If you can get the tip to rest again the tailgate you won't crack/gash your head open by accident. :)

I have been looking at those and I like that setup. Definitely a more solid design to secure equipment, being mounted through the trim into the metal itself. I trust metal over plastic.

And greed, I need to get a longer bolt for that shovel and flip it around.
That's a headache waiting to happen.

Back