• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sprung weight vs Unsprung weight....

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Reading the different threads in here about axle weight and what weighs less, etc. got me to thinking. Why are you guys trying to shave unsprung weight? It seems to me the weight that needs to go is the sprung weight. correct me if I'm wrong but isnt that why people are putting water in tires and bb's too. To add to the unsprung weight to keep the rig planted? :confused1 Isn't this also the reason for the chops and cages? To loos sprung weight!!

For high speed stuff, losing unsprung weight is just as important at losing sprung weight for crawling.

I always get the two screwed up, but in school we were taught that unsprung weight counted 10 times of sprung weight. So for every 1lb of unsprung you go rid of was like taking 10 lbs off the car. This was for high speed car stuff.

But, I think a big reason of getting weight off the axles and what not is just to help easy the strain on the engine and everything else. The less you have to drag up a rock, the easier..
The track of the vehicle will do more for keeping it planted then weight..
adding heavy axles is kind of a bandaid for a high COG, but not a fix..
$.02

the guys that are spending a lot of time evaluating and minimizing their unsprung weight have already evaluated and minimized their sprung weight. unsprung weight is better for crawling, sprung weight is better for desert running, but (for most recreational users) minimizing both is best.

The obsessive/compulsive threads we post about weight are actually for rocks BUT there is a desert race to get to the trail head through a lake bed FULL of bomb craters.

Another reason I am curious of my front axle weight, is because I carry so many spare parts to support my front 44, I think a 60/9" with no spare parts is lighter than my 44 with spare parts. :shocked:

cracker said:
I think a 60/9" with no spare parts

Thats going to bit you in the ass like a pitbull chasing a black man in beverly hills.....

David Taylor said:
the only spare I might get one day is a unit bearing.

Oh, wow Dave you guys have them all assembled and ready to go and now you are considering spares? Or is this just another 33 spline vapor dream about some lightweight one of a kind parts that may take a season to replace if anything goes wrong.
Ok Avery, get out the chequebook.

Last edited:
luvrox said:
Ok Avery, get out the chequebook.

I run standard parts with 35 spline :D

Back