• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 RE 3.5 st arms, need adjustable?

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 3.5 re lift and the front drive shaft has highway vibes. How much can adjustable arms help this?
I don't want a fix that makes steering dangerous.

I'd have the caster checked before I changed parts, it may not be the issue. I say this because I've had a couple of them at four inches on stock control arms and never encountered a problem.

Adjustable control arms will allow you to tune the pinion angle, assuming the vibes are caused by the pinion angle.

ill look into the caster adjustment. If the vibes are not from the pinion angle, wouldnt these be notice much more often?

thus far its about 65mph itll start a bit. sometimes down/uphill or how the load is be put on the front will allow me to go faster before the vibe is noticed, this allows makes me think the vibes are from pinion angle.

there should be no load in 2wd.

if castor is acceptable... pull the drive shaft and try driving it in the same manner. if it disappears then you are likely looking at a bad joint in the driveshaft or too steep of a pinion angle. if that is the issue, you will have to dial back the pinion and compromise on the castor.

what year is the jeep? what motor/trans/case? high pinion or low pinion axle?

99 4.0/AW4, np 242 with tc drop, hp d30, RE 3.5 super flex lift, 33s

i have driven with the DS removed which solved the vibe issue. I also hold that its the pinion angle because as far as the life of a spicer u joint goes, its still fairly new. Does that sound like a fair bet leaning towards pinion angle?

Last edited:
Back