• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBD2 scanner

XJensen

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have an OBD2 that can monitor live data from sensors?

my wifes murano is running rich and I need to know if it is an O2 or air/fuel sensor.

If not can you recommend a decent cheap reader I can hook up to my pc? The all in one units are to expensive...

dude you know i have one wtf come get it

yah mine is the cheapo HF 39$ one. i doubt it does anything special other than read codes...

When i had a 96xj with obd2 and lived in natomas i just took it to one of those shops out there that does "free diagnosis".. Meaning they'd hook up a scanner, figure out what i needed and quoted me. I kindly thanked them for the quote and wen't to napa, bought an 02 sensor and fixed it in the parking lot.
Man i miss that ease in diagnosis, def should have i built an obd car.

those are rad! i want one!

I have been looking into getting one like that, most likely a USB one because my laptop doesn't have blue tooth.

I just need to find one with some good software the will read all or most of the sensors real time. Seems there are quite a few janky companies making these things.

I like that the one you listed will work with other software, not just theirs. That alone is very cool!

A lot of the smartphones have OBDII dongle applications you can download. Pretty sweet being able to monitor everything your vehicle is doing from you phone out on the trail.

No. You would still need a "dongle" to read the OBDII and send the info out. There is no car manufacturer that I know of that has set up their cars to send out diagnostics through bluetooth.

Edit: I work for Mercedes, maybe I can pitch the idea to them :idea:

Last edited:
No. You would still need a "dongle" to read the OBDII and send the info out. There is no car manufacturer that I know of that has set up their cars to send out diagnostics through bluetooth.

Edit: I work for Mercedes, maybe I can pitch the idea to them :idea:

Isn't bluetooth what GM's Blondestar uses to send diagnostic info back to the server?

I'm no techie or trekkie either.

I didn't even think of OnStar. I believe OnStar is hard wired to the cars computer. It sends the info to GM through a cell signal.
I was more saying I don't know of a manufacturer that allows the consumer to access the diagnostic info through bluetooth. Probably a good idea they don't from a business stand point. Most dealerships charge to diagnose, if the consumer is able to that's money lost.

I believe you can access onstar by bluetooth (not necessarily just connect to it, but it is networked together such that you can access the basics from a phone), so if you were good with programming you could likely get in there, and then sell an app for smart phones and laptops around the world to do the same

lets research this and do it!

I believe you can access onstar by bluetooth (not necessarily just connect to it, but it is networked together such that you can access the basics from a phone), so if you were good with programming you could likely get in there, and then sell an app for smart phones and laptops around the world to do the same

Back