• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Radiator / New Tranny Cooler Leak

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
Rushing gets you nowhere. I got my new aftermarket radiator and had no time before a trailride to install it. I squeezed it in to a buzy evening a night or two before the ride, when I didn't really have enough time. I ended up cross theading the stinkin' tranny line fitting into the radiator. Of course it leaks now.

Anyone have any creative solutions. The line side of the fitting is fine, but the threads on the radiator are TRASHED. I can unscrew it and it will go back on the crossthreaded way, so I thought about teflon tape or plumbers cement. I just really don't want to waste that new radiator. Rethreading will take so much material off the fitting that I don't think the line would fit anymore.... so I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Do external tranny coolers cool enough to eliminate the cooler in the radiator? If so, I could always do that I guess.

i eliminated my trannny radiator cooler in favor of an external with a fan.and a trans temp gauge to monitor it...it works well and very rarely do i see 200+.
another option is to use the ac condenser......

I completely bypassed the tranny cooler in the oem rad...

bought a tranny cooler at the junkyard off a newer Ford work van and it's been fine...

There's a lot of threads with this same info...

Try a search for "tranny cooler"

You really do not need that cooler in the radiator except in "extremely" cold climates. In cold climates you need a little bit of heat "in" the tranny for it to perform properly. If its not a DD, or if you live in the south, don't hesitate to bypass regardless.

Back