• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny cooler/radiator quick disconnect woes

ChevelleSSLS6

NAXJA Forum User
Putting in a new radiator today... maybe efan as well if I can find that relay kit I purchased a year ago...

What is supposed to be a quick disconnect line is taking, oh, a lot longer than the regular fitting for the tranny line/radiator..
evileye.gif

I am not happy... anyone have any ideas how to get it disconnected without getting out the sawzall?
furious.gif

-Matt

I was able to get mine off without the little tool. Does your line have the yellow plastic ears that look like you just squeeze and it should come off? Well, it didn't at first, but by pushing the line further onto the tranny cooler output and THEN squeezing the plastic ears, it came right off.

X2--
"Push together--Release latch--Pull apart" also works on the electrical connectors a lot of times. Good habit.

O

I struggled with mine for about forever....then I just cut them with my dremel and a cutoff wheel.

The quick disconnects are mis-named. They are niether quick nor do they disconnect. rubber transmission line and hose clamps work well. It's not pretty but gets the job done. Doulbe clamp them for added security, it's been holding up fine, no leaks at all.

Cut it off and double clamp a new trans hose line on. That crimped section will start leaking; I can almost guarantee it. I've done it to both my XJ and MJ. Dremel will take about 2 minutes.

Mine was a pain even with the tool, but after struggling for a good ten minutes, I desided to try twisting while disconnecting with the tool and of course...it came right off.

I've learned to be patient with things like that or it causes a lot more headache.

~Scott

Back