• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stop Global Warming, paint your roof

There are already alot of "green" houses in Arizona I guess then. My house and about 50% of my neighbors in Tucson have white roof coatings as opposed to shingles. Does reflect a lot of heat energy.

My dads lodge got a white gravel roof last time instead of a tar roof when they re-covered the roof. He said it has almost halved their cooling bill.

Would a Tin roof have the same reflective effect? Seeing more and more of those....

The metal roof would do better if coated with a reflective 'paint'. Some of the hottest stuff I've ever handled are roofing materials and hand tools left in the sun.

Just to give this reply some omph, I located this; http://www.articlearchives.com/energy-utilities/energy-environment/2292553-1.html

A student found interesting results with coatings and shingles/tin roofing.

And yes, metal roofs need coatings to prevent rust.

Um...Tin is used to "rust proof" and make other things anti-corrosive. You'd need some pretty rough acid rain for it to corrode. Sure, it isn't as good as Zinc, but it still does well on its own.

Right, but it does oxidize, thus reducing reflectivity, pretty quickly. The nice new tin roof will only look new for a few weeks (depending on location/climate).

Back