• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lifting help!!!

KinesthesiaDrums

NAXJA Forum User
awight......i need some quick answers....i wanna have this thing drivable for monday....bare with me...never done this before...
installing rough country 4.5" lift on a 1990 2wd XJ....
last night i did the front install....everything but the track bar.....and i have two questions as to how the front turned out...

1- i put the tires back on it (original, small ones) and put it on the ground, decided to do track bar in the morning (now) cause i was out of light....when i dropped the jeep back on the ground the sway bar moves back into the coil springs.....i know thats not supposed to ride on the springs.....i tried to see if there was any way i could move the frame brackets any further forward, thats the only option for placing that i have...........
is this normal??? will it be fixed when i lift the rear?? help!?!?!?

2- the track bar....i know the majority says eff the bracket, get an adjustable....well....that will be next, but for right now i'ma hafta live with the bracket.....so anyways....i got 3 holes on the bracket....one mounts through the stock hole, one i'm supposed to use to drill out in the existing bracket behind it, and the other is where the track bar mounts in...
from my studies i concluded that the stock mount works as a kind of pivot point, and the hole i drill out holds the bracket in place for adjustment purposes of the track bar.....am i correct???
instructions say to mount with stock bolt....then drill hole and put in the supplied bolt and tighten....after tires are installed, put vehicle back on the ground and install track bar on the bracket....
now....if my "adjusting" assumption is correct....if i just randomly drill a hole and bolt it up, the track bar might not line up when i put the jeep back on the gound.....
soo....what should i do?? should i put the jeep on the ground, reinstall track bar and then drill the hole....or what?
and isn't the track bar for keeping the axle centered under the vehicle? so this all needs to be adjusted right.....??
i think yall get where im headed with the question.......

thanks in advance....

KinesthesiaDrums said:
1- i put the tires back on it (original, small ones) and put it on the ground, decided to do track bar in the morning (now) cause i was out of light....when i dropped the jeep back on the ground the sway bar moves back into the coil springs.....i know thats not supposed to ride on the springs.....i tried to see if there was any way i could move the frame brackets any further forward, thats the only option for placing that i have...........
is this normal??? will it be fixed when i lift the rear?? help!?!?!?
Is your sway bar actually hitting your springs? Did you get longer sway bar mounts with the kit? Or quick disco's?

once the bracket is installed, there is no more adjusting.
first, attach the bracket with the stock bolt but do not tighten.
second, there may be some slop in the bracket...just pivot/rotate the bracket up and tight to the existing mount.....mark and drill your next hole.
third, with the second bolt installed...tighten both bolts.
fourth, with the track bar installed at the frame end....and the rig sitting on the ground....have someone sit in the rig and turn the steering wheel. this will move the rig back and forth and will allow you locate the track bar and install the last bolt.....tighten per instructions.
done

oookkaay....i'm really not that stoopid...i swear.....i had the sway bar drop brackets swapped.....so yea....sway bar problem is fixed.....lol...

warthog-- how do i know where to drill the next hole?? theres a lot of space there and the bracket pivots on the stock bolt....

the track bar is still attached at frame end....but after i get both bracket bolts on and tightened.....rig on the ground...i turn the wheel to get the track bar to line up with the hole in the bracket?? and once holes are lined up....the track bar should have the axle centered and alla that?

am i understanding this the right way?

Back