• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Twin Electric Fan's

tealcherokee said:
i dont think 2 stock fans will move enough air

I think this would depend on the driving conditions its used under.
If its long hours in traffic or hours on trails yeah this may be true. Could be this is a highway driver, not using the fans that often, or not out on the trails too often and never uses the A/C.
I never use my A/C and drive in traffic about 5 mintues a day, wouldn't test not havin a fan, but I don't think it would kill my rig to have that set up.

on a side note I have a Ford Taurus fan waiting to go on my rad. waiting to find the right controller, but may just wedge it in to my 97, pull the clutch blades off and work the elec off a switch for a while to see how it works when needed. if it works how I like it than put more effort into finding the right controller.

:repair: I installed a three core radiator. Because It was running so hot:gonnablow on the trail that the transmission was sliping. The new fan is hooked up to run all the time the other fan is still the stock set up. I think what helps is the hood vents I installed at the same time.
50DSCN1490-med.jpg

I noticed you moved your radiator forward about and inch or so....any clearance problems or problems with hoses being pulled too tight or anything like that? If it wasn't a huge problem, that 1"-1.5" gain in clearance would open up a world of options in electric fans as the limiting factor is the clearance between the motor and the fan.

what is so hot. Look for 5-90's posts. The system is efficient and should work properly. I was running hot (240deg) as well instead of customizing my cooling I fixed what was broken and it stayed at 210 at Tellico then the 8 hr ride home with the AC on the whole way.

my .02

Matt

i had the same idea about a year ago with two 96+ fans. I never got around to it and just bought a slim line and ran two fans when needed.

hadfield4wd said:
what is so hot. Look for 5-90's posts. The system is efficient and should work properly. I was running hot (240deg) as well instead of customizing my cooling I fixed what was broken and it stayed at 210 at Tellico then the 8 hr ride home with the AC on the whole way.

my .02

Matt
Yeah, but if the radiator was plugged he needed to replace it anyway, the advantages of all electrics are many.
If you break a motor mount you likely won't put the fan through the radiator.
You free up horsepower when cruising, it's not much, but it counts.
You can turn off the fan when you do a deep water crossing, mechanical fans get pulled into the radiator when you dunk them.

87manche said:
Yeah, but if the radiator was plugged he needed to replace it anyway, the advantages of all electrics are many.
If you break a motor mount you likely won't put the fan through the radiator.
You free up horsepower when cruising, it's not much, but it counts.
You can turn off the fan when you do a deep water crossing, mechanical fans get pulled into the radiator when you dunk them.

The issue isn't the fact that he is using electric fans, but the fan he decided to use.

53GUY asked
I noticed you moved your radiator forward about and inch or so....any clearance problems or problems with hoses being pulled too tight or anything like that? If it wasn't a huge problem, that 1"-1.5" gain in clearance would open up a world of options in electric fans as the limiting factor is the clearance between the motor and the fan.

There is no problem with the hoses. I only moved it forward at the bottom to clear the idler pully were the old fan was mounted.

ChuckD said:confused1
The issue isn't the fact that he is using electric fans, but the fan he decided to use.

The stock electric fan moves more air then the belt driven fan at lower RPM's. It is giving no problem and even runs cooler because of the hood vent's. Did a test with my fathers stock 96XJ and depending on the type of drivind the under hood temp was 30 plus degrees cooler. When idling for over one hour in the hot sun with the Jeep puled up to a wall :banghead: it made a 52deg diffrance. :repair:

The stock electric fan moves more air then the belt driven fan at lower RPM's. It is giving no problem and even runs cooler because of the hood vent's. Did a test with my fathers stock 96XJ and depending on the type of drivind the under hood temp was 30 plus degrees cooler. When idling for over one hour in the hot sun with the Jeep puled up to a wall :banghead: it made a 52deg diffrance. :repair:[/QUOTE]

I've thought about running a couple electric fans as well. I have my secondary fan hooked up to a toggle switch next to my Brett's AW4 shift kit toggle and rotary switch mounted where the stock coin tray was. Remember that the 4.0L should run at 210 degrees, if it doesn't and is significantly lower than that you will be running on start up (rich). I like the idea of shutting the fans off when you cross through water, that alone and having more air flow at lower RPMs and start up are nice options as well.

How about running Ford Taurus fans? I hear they are the hot ticket these days?

Troy

:repair: I was given a stock FORD fan but it was to large for the XJ's radiator. :piratefla That is what I tried first. :confused: Then I went to a second stock fan satup. If you notice I had to weld the lower mounting tabs for the fan shroud in a new location to mount the electric fan. :greensmok Twin Fan Link.

i removed my clutch fan on my 99' cherokee and installed an electric fan(auto zone) behind grill, lots of room b/t engine and radiator. left exist secondary elect. fan and wiring to turn on w/ a/c and at 220. new elect. fan has adj. therm. that i set at 195. i also cut whole in hood and placed cowl w/ elect. fan on inside of hood over center of engine w/ switch inside truck, works very good and i rarely use it.

Back