• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new guy, couple questions..

DZRTRAT

NAXJA Forum User
my name is Scott, been kicking around the idea of buying an XJ lately. its been too long since ive had a 4x4 to go wheelin/camping, 4yrs or so. from what ive seen/heard XJs are pretty cool little rigs and can be built fairly cheap. so i've been checking out craigslist looking for them and i'm finding a lot with 150k-250k miles on them. how much longer can i expect these things to last? engine and trans are my main concerns, i don't wanna buy what seems like a decent truck to throw a rod or lose reverse 3 months later. i've never owned or worked on a jeep i've always wheeled full sized rigs, mostly chevy trucks, so i figured signing up on here and asking the pros would be my best option. are there any certain years i should stay away from? any specific things i should look for?

thats for putting up with my noob questions guys.

It totally depends on how well it has been taken care of.

The 4.0L engine is pretty stout and will take a lot of abuse. If it's been well maintained you hear of them going well into the 250K-300K range with no issues. The AW4 (auto) transmission is pretty much bullet proof. About the only time you hear of one failing is if they have been severely abused.

The heads on the newer Jeeps are known to crack if they get overheated. This is something that you, being in Nv should pay very close attention to.

Overall though, I wouldn't be afraid to buy one in the range of mileage you are looking at. Most of them will keep you on the road a long time.

I'd look for a 97-99. 2000-01 are the ones known for cracked heads. 97+ gives a nicer interior (you don't realize how important cupholders until you have none- like the 96-). Other than that, these things last forever. I've got 170k on mine and have done standard type stuff on the engine, and nothing but a fluid change on the tranny at about 100k.

sweet, that's good to hear. yeah i figured the summer here would be the true test as it is for any vehicle.. can't wait to get out of here...

thanks for the quick reply, I'm sure I'll have more stupid questions as i go along. any one wanna buy an 89 suburban with a blown motor to help fund my XJ? LOL!!

Check out the Adventure Forum section to see how members use their XJs for off road camping adventures. I also vote for 98-99XJ.

I have a '00 XJ...bought it in '05 at 118000 miles, now have 202654 miles...still going (decently strong) with cracked head, low oil pressure, balding tires, chipped windshield and dings/scratches all around the body.

Previous owner...according to the records they gave me when I bought it...had water and oil pump replaced. The only things I had to replace (excluding a fender and header panel due to a fender bender) were front brakes/rotors, oil pressure sending unit, fan clutch, transmission pan and gasket (the drain plug stripped on the original one), thermostat and regular maintenance items.

Everything but the low washer indicator and window lock out switch works. I want to get a different lower mileage XJ, but this one refuses to die...

Oh, and it hasn't had an easy life...offroading in Hollister, Pairie City, Death Valley, CA, locally here in Aetna Mtn and various other places...

Happy hunting.

Is it me or has anyone noticed that the price for used XJs is going up?

Last edited:
Keep looking, they're out there, but the good ones go in a hurry. I watched AutoTrader and Craigslist for close to 2 months before I found a bone stock '98 with 64k miles on it (No longer stock). Some snowbirds from North Dakota had owned it and only drove it down here in Arizona during the winters. Probably paid more than I should have for it, but it's in perfect condition and I plan on keeping it a long time. I didn't want to buy someone else's build even though it would have been much cheaper. It's been a blast so far.

I have a 96. I'd recommend getting 97-99. My 96 is a transition year. The fuel sender is unique, I think the pump might be too. You may or may not have the 29 spline 8.25. Lots of stuff is weird on the 96's...Get the later one and know what you have and that parts will be interchangeable between multiple years.

Back