• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 AW4: drilling/tapping cast temp sensor location?

Interesting, now I see why you called it a "mini-stroker". But I question the cost/gain of only 9 C.I. vs the need to run premium gas and possibly a ECU tune. Luckily I think Ryan is in your area. Keep us posted on how this works out!

Interesting, now I see why you called it a "mini-stroker". But I question the cost/gain of only 9 C.I. vs the need to run premium gas and possibly a ECU tune. Luckily I think Ryan is in your area. Keep us posted on how this works out!
Oh I agree. Spent way too much for what it is, but oh well. Gas cost is negligible (but availability is now a concern - gonna have to carry octane booster outside TX), and I’ll absolutely need a tune to make the most of it. I may honestly go ahead and order a UniChip so tuning is even an option.

Who’s Ryan? I should honestly open that dialog sooner than later.

I think the change was around 98 or 99 when the plug disappeared. I have my gauge plumbed here on my 92. I think it's part of the cooler outlet (fluid to cooler) circuit. I'm interested to see if you can make it work. If you drill and tap to the metric size don't forget you'll need an adapter for the sender. I think it was an m14x1.5 o ring boss to 1/8npt that I used.

I think the change was around 98 or 99 when the plug disappeared. I have my gauge plumbed here on my 92. I think it's part of the cooler outlet (fluid to cooler) circuit. I'm interested to see if you can make it work. If you drill and tap to the metric size don't forget you'll need an adapter for the sender. I think it was an m14x1.5 o ring boss to 1/8npt that I used.
Interesting... ILLXJ was kind enough to send me a couple pics off a 1996 AW4:

IMG_5492.jpg

IMG_5493.jpg

Looks like I should be able to drill it, ream it with a 45° reamer, and then tap it... Reaming is likely to be necessary for a good O-ring seal since I have no means to machine the top surface of the bung, let alone 90° to the bore.

I ended up buying a VDO 323-121, which is a long-snout M14x1.50 sensor that'll work with the gauge I chose (opted for this style based on what few pics I can find of the temp probes installed on Aisin A340's).

Thanks, man - figured AMC blue would be a fitting tribute to its roots (and make it easier to spot the inevitable leaks that will form).

It's funny - the first thought I had was that the blue made me think of the AMC 401 V8, and almost typed it.

Interesting idea. If you go through with this post your results and I'll try to remember to add them or a link to this thread to the AW4 info thread.

BTW - the Chris tuner RCP mentioned above is [email protected], I can vouch for his knowledge and skills.

Thanks for all the input, guys - managed to get it done this evening.

First I rigged up a blow gun to an -6AN barb fitting, along with a zip tie, to continuously blow air out of that chamber while drilling:

IMG-0345.JPG

After stepping up to 1/2" in 1/16" increments, tapping the bore to M14-1.50, and replacing the provided copper washer with an appropriately-sized nitrile O-ring, we have this:

IMG-0352.JPG

IMG-0353.JPG

Unfortunately my dumb ass got hasty when tapping the bore, and realized after a few threads were cut that the tap was cockeyed. Backed it out, applied more pressure, and carefully ran it back in... Given the extremely limited threads on the VDO 323-121, I'm concerned that it may leak at some point (and it's internally-grounded, so using thread sealant could yield problems).

Oh well. If it does leak, and I can't find an effective way to seal it, I'll just remove it and plug/epoxy the damn hole shut (or find someone to TIG a plug in). Really pissed I didn't exercise more caution, but there's a chance it'll be just fine.

Back