• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Happiness is a heated garage

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
Santa bought me a ceiling mounted natural heater for my garage. I got it installed today. It was 37 degrees in the 3 car garage and within 10 minutes it jumped 10 degrees. It is a 50,000 btu Mr Heater Big Maxx. It vents out through the roof.

A garage to work in is great, a heated garage in the zero degree weather is heaven.

I have been using this propane torpedo heater from TSC in my new-to-me garage https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/master-propane-forced-air-torpedo-heater-125-000-btu Its rated for 3500 sq feet and my garage is in the 500 range, so heats the air pretty quick. Heating the concrete pad seems to be the key to how long it stays warm.

I'm in the county so no gas service except what I can buy from the propane suppliers. Thinking about a large tank for this and instant water heater and some other stuff.

If I ever build a shop behind the house I will do heated concrete

Congratulations on the major improvement in your quality of life. I have a pretty good sense of what that means for your world.

I am hoping for heat for next winter.

It was 38 in the shop yesterday. Probably a degree or two lower today. I have an electric heater that can warm up its own little space by about ten degrees after several hours of working at it. That does very little for anything at a distance.

I need to figure out how to chamber off sections of the shop so that I can heat a working area and not worry so much about all the rest of it. And I want to add a wood stove for when I aim to warm up the whole place. But that is all in the future. This winter I work in the cold.

I went out the other day and it was 18 degrees in the shop. Now it is what every I set it to.

I have a old ceiling mounted natural gas heater that would plumb out the roof that is just sitting in my garage. It is old and covered with hotrod/racing stickers, but should still work. It would be free to anybody wanting to haul it off. Not pretty and no guarantees, but the price is right.

A heated garage is a must in this freezing weather. Can't wait for winter to be over!
What freezing weather. You don't have winters there. I am currently in Sterling VA and only wore anything more than a wind breaker once this "winter"

Hey boss!

Im actually local here in Loveland CO.. I tried to reply to your teardrop thread but got an error saying I cant. Then tried to email- says your box is full!
But ya, I wanted to say first of all- The trailer came out KILLER man!! dang Im jealous! Did you mention how much you are in to it??

I'm also new to town- moved here from FoCo in July, and a year before that from NM (born and raised sadly). Is there anywhere you can point me to find a stock exhaust setup (97 4.0)? Debating on which header/manifold to order, but down pipe back needs replacing too.

I'd also be interested in hiring your welding services if you are interested?? I have a bumper on her, but want a hidden winch mount- and maybe a small stinger...

Anyhow, I'd also love to learn about the area- and know where I can take her wheeling, legally. LOL

Have a good one,

Shawn

I just bought a new house and air conditioning the garage is high on my priority list.

In Houston, that’s happiness ;)

I have a window airconditioner for my garage as well. Mostly I use a large industrial fan with a mister in front of it. We have very low humidity here, unlike Houston, and it works very well and costs pennies to run.

I've got an old Dayton 3E390B that I tossed in my hangar... you are right, it's really an improvement. Smashing fingers hurts a million times worse when they're cold.

Back