• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Take down the bird feeder

TRNDRVR

NAXJA Forum User
*Cut and paste from an email*

I bought a bird feeder. I hung it on my back porch and filled it with seed. What a beauty of a bird feeder it is, as I filled it lovingly with seed. Within a week we had hundreds of birds taking advantage of the continuous flow of free and easily accessible food.

But then the birds started building nests in the boards of the patio, above the table, and next to the barbecue.

Then came the poop. It was everywhere: on the patio tile, the chairs, the table everywhere!

Then some of the birds turned mean. They would dive bomb me and try to peck me even though I had fed them out of my own pocket.

And others birds were boisterous and loud. They sat on the feeder and squawked and screamed at all hours of the day and night and demanded that I fill it when it got low on food.

After a while, I couldn't even sit on my own back porch anymore. So I took down the bird feeder and in three days the birds were gone. I cleaned up their mess and took down the many nests they had built all over the patio.

Soon, the back yard was like it used to be.... quiet, serene and no one demanding their rights to a free meal.

Now let's see. Our government gives out
free food, subsidized housing, free medical care, and free education and allows anyone born here to be an automatic citizen.

Then the illegals came by the tens of thousands. Suddenly our taxes went up to pay for free services; small apartments are housing 5 families; you have to wait 6 hours to be seen by an emergency room doctor; your child's 2nd grade class is behind other schools because over half the class doesn't speak English.

Corn Flakes now come in a bilingual box; I have to 'press one' to hear my bank talk to me in English, and people waving flags other than 'Old Glory' are squawking and screaming in the streets, demanding more rights and free liberties.

Just my opinion, but maybe it's time for the government to take down the bird feeder.

If you agree, pass it on; if not, continue cleaning up the poop!

I agree.

I agree. While the illegals get help somehow most hard working families can barely get by and when they ask for help... they make too much?

DeftwillP said:

not racist, it's anti-disadvantagist.

in other words, this is AMERICA and OUR RIGHTS are being VIOLATED by people who HAVE NO RIGHT to be here.

you GAIN the RIGHT to be here, by going through the SYSTEM the RIGHT way. EVERY true american has done so. this is what makes me more american than them, and what gives me more right than them, because my predecessors came here legally.

jeepcomj said:
not racist, it's anti-disadvantagist.

in other words, this is AMERICA and OUR RIGHTS are being VIOLATED by people who HAVE NO RIGHT to be here.

you GAIN the RIGHT to be here, by going through the SYSTEM the RIGHT way. EVERY true american has done so. this is what makes me more american than them, and what gives me more right than them, because my predecessors came here legally.

:patriot:

i was actually kidding hence the smiley

i agree 110 % with the op

If you go back to the Church of England records in London, you will find my mother's family listed as an original land grantee from the 13 Lords Proprieters, which eventually become the original 13 colonies... when I told this to a friend who works in the office who just happens to be 3/4 Hoods Federation of Tribes out of Washington state, he exclaimed that I was an illegal immigrant in his country, and that his people had been here for over 10,000 years waiting for us to arrive.... having said that, it is important for us all to recognize that we cannot as a nation support the rest of the world. We have attempted to do so for too long, and the result is that we are on the verge of becoming a welfare state with a bankrupt economy. I have vowed not to buy foreign made goods, and make my purchasing decisions based on this fact. I may pay more, but I know that I am providing work for US based employees, not someone from somewhere else, who wants the good old USA to pay his or her way... immigration must be controlled, and we must all participate in our goverment to make sure that this happens...and that there is something left for our children... if you don't think this is important, then plan on your kids being supported by a welfare state since there won't be any jobs for them. Call me racist if you want to... I call myself an American citizen...

:patriot:

I had a different result with birds. I put up a nice bird feeder. Soon all sorts of birds came to ead the cheap bird seed I put out. I enjoyed feeding them and looking at them as much as they enjoyed being fed. It was a mutual relationship. The birds were happy and I enjoyed low budget entertainment.

Soon afterwards, the birds starting doing my laundry, washing my windows, and other chores I did not like doing.

jeepcomj said:

America had open borders essentially up until the 1920's when a cap was placed on immigration. Up until that point, there were minor procedural laws put into place (some race based). Thats how my ancestors got to America. They showed up in New York from Ireland with the clothes on their back in the early 1800's. Now the immigration process is labourous and time consuming, almost impossible really.

I've thought a lot about this issue and there really isn't a good answer. I both agree and disagree with what you guys are saying. There's the principals that we draw a line on and the practical reality we live in.

Just closing off the border will hurt us in other areas. Illegal immigrant labor allows us to keep costs down.

Example: Family farmer in Cali growing oranges can pay an illegal worker $5 an hour with no benefits for as many hours as the laborer is willing to work. In turn he charges a reasonable price for his oranges. An American working at the soon to be current minimum wage of $6.55 will cost this farmer 31% more to harvest his crop. He must then make sure that he is in compliance with OSHA working standards and faces fines if he is not, raising costs further. If the employee works more than 40 hours a week on a regular basis, health insurance must be provided as an option. This makes for some really expensive oranges.

Then, to keep costs from rising, you have to totally reform worker laws in America, something that will piss off a lot of totally legal citizens.

The orange example may not be entirely accurate, but you get the point.

Basically what I'm saying is, there is no quick fix for illegal immigration. True comprehensive immigration reform means large scale compreshensive government reform. Not bad, but definitly not easy.

Every local national interpreter I worked with in Iraq had a desire to move to America. A lot of them were really good guys and would make excellent Americans. But as the situation stands now, they have to travel to the American Embassy in Jordan across war torn Iraq and apply for a visa which currently has a 7 year waiting list to find out whether they might be accepted or not. If I were in their shoes, I would find a way to illegally immigrate to America with my family because their ass is grass when we pull out.

I'd rather pay an extra 30 cents for an apple here and there, than know that the taxes, social security and medicare taken from my check each month are paying for services for people who got here illegally. Its a continuous circle. Sure, we might pay a little more for orange juice, but we wouldnt be getting taxed so damn much and have to stand in line at hospital emergency rooms, DMVs, etc...and our schools would be so much better. Companies wouldnt have to put a premium on making sure they were bi-lingual in every way. We cater too much to people who have no business being here. 30% of our prison population is made up of illegals.

Dont get me started on the other stats...

buschwhaked said:
If I were in their shoes, I would find a way to illegally immigrate to America with my family because their ass is grass when we pull out.

If I were in their shoes, I would stay in their own damn country and build it up - work together as a community to stop the violence. We've done way more than we should have already to help these people.

The amount of faith and trust you put in these people scares me. Say what you want, but you cannot trust them - you dont know them personally, you dont know their true intentions, their background. They will be as nice as they can be to get close to you, get info from you, gain your trust...and thats when they'll screw you.

Believe me, I know first hand....I deal with it daily - in fact - you could say its my primary job.

JNickel101 said:
If I were in their shoes, I would stay in their own damn country and build it up - work together as a community to stop the violence. If it were your wife and kids on the line, I would hope you would place their safety and security above your politics.

We've done way more than we should have already to help these people. We shouldn't have been there in the first place.

The amount of faith and trust you put in these people scares me. We rode in convoys with those terps 24/7 for 15 months. Some of whom have worked with us since the invasion. I don't start off trusting anybody until I get to know them.

Say what you want, but you cannot trust them - you dont know them personally, you dont know their true intentions, their background. They will be as nice as they can be to get close to you, get info from you, gain your trust...and thats when they'll screw you. Yup, 25 million people and every one of them is out to get ya! C'mon...

Believe me, I know first hand....I deal with it daily - in fact - you could say its my primary job. What, dealing with illegal immigrants in the Middle East? :moon: :patriot:

Back