• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Digital Cameras

KY Chris

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for a decent digital camera in the under $200 range. I'd prefer:

a brand I have heard of
good resolution,
rugged enough that I can take it wheeling with me,
easy upload to pc,
decent ammount of memory.

Is that too tall of an order? Any suggestions?

Walmart has the vivitar line, 1, 2 and 3 mega pixels. The 3 was just on sale for $135, 4x digital zoom, has a dust cover that opens and closes over the lense which some of the cheaper ones don't have. The 1 and 2 meg models are under $100. I'd wait till after turkey day when the xmas sales start, there might be some other bargains. Or you could wait till after xmas when the after xmas sales start but at some point you need to decide now and of course 2 days after you buy it you'll find it for 1/2 price somewhere else :D

hi this is mrs. ted z.

i have a decent digital camera. it was under $150.
it's an olympus camedia d-390. it's small, good for takin it out on the trails. it's 2.0 megapixel, 2.5 digital zoom. my 64mb card can hold up to 47 pics in super high quality mode. it takes good snapshots. if you wanna see go to: http://community.webshots.com/album/77870444vIdVKa

if you have any questions email ted, he's the camera guy.

liz z.

one more thing good for trail runs, it takes short movies with no sound. i think it takes about 15 seconds...not too bad.

liz z.

Canon PowerShot A300, I got mine for 199 with a 64mb card plus the 16 it came with, I have seen them as low as 150 since then! Its 3.2mega pixel, it does NOT have a optical zoom, but has a 5.1x digital zoom! Here is the link to Canon's Web Site It has setting for basicly everything, it can even take 2.2 pictures a second, which is very nice for Fireworks and stuff like that, where you can just hold down the button, take like 15 pictures in a few seconds then just keep the perfect one, and delete the rest!

Hi-Res images are 11.4x8.5in at 180dpi! Here is a sample Pic, from Canon(Its HUGE)

I use mine for school projects(i'm a Graphic Design Major) and the pictures are perfect for my projects, so for a hobby photographer its more then perfect! I research alot of camera's and unless you need an optical zoom, this one is the best for under 200!! It also takes short movies, at 640x480 with sound, and they look very good! Hope this all helps!

Aaron

he would if he could. he started his new job this week. he works saturdays :( plus the jeep still isn't ready for offroad.
maybe will head down this spring to the badlands. i've never been on a good off road trip.

liz

Come down anyway. I did not get to meet you when I was up there to get the seats, so come on down...I have an extra seat.

You can trust me Ted.

Rev

PS Congrats on the job Ted.

I had a vivatar one or watever until it got stolen, so now i have a nice nikon one.... my sis has a cannon one and likes it too

FUJI all the WAY!!

For one single reason, when you use a digital camera there is sometimes so lag time from when you press the button to when it actually takes the picture. This can be up to 2 seconds, by then the kodak moment is over.

So far, FUJI has been the fastest.

Also, buy your camera from COSTCO if you can, the best return policy around. If you don't like the FUJI, then try another brand. Stay away from the sony's!

Thanks for all of the insight. I'm looking at the Cannons, one of the Fujis and the Vivitars at Walmart, so far. I saw that the Sony's are fairly priced. Why should I steer clear?

Chris check out the Cannon A40 I have it and it is a very fine camera for the money. Timo has the same camera and likes it.

It will do video w/ audio, runs on AA bats, can do full manual modes, and has great bat life. its a 2 megpixel

ive dropped mine a few times.

regards
chewy

Back