• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking for replacement steering shaft 99 xj

alwayzAMC

NAXJA Forum User
hi guys, i have been searching all morning and cannot find a part number or a replacement for my steering shaft for my 99 xj. this is the steering shaft that goes from the column to the steering box with the bearing assembly, does anyone know of a replacement option for this? i tried to find even the ujoints for it to rebuild it myself, but that turned up empty as well.

thanks for any help, i will keep searching in the meantime.

hi guys, i have been searching all morning and cannot find a part number or a replacement for my steering shaft for my 99 xj. this is the steering shaft that goes from the column to the steering box with the bearing assembly, does anyone know of a replacement option for this? i tried to find even the ujoints for it to rebuild it myself, but that turned up empty as well.

thanks for any help, i will keep searching in the meantime.

For starters I we talking about this?

https://www.jeepsunlimited.net/97_9...ediate_steering_column_gear_box_05102530aa_xj

I watch a few car shows. Watch where they upgrade steering. And if we are talking about the same part actually make one. Get the U Joints, the shaft which they cut to size, etc.

This would require a more hands on have to look at the parts approach though.

So best I can tell the part # for a '99 is 52079 010AD

For my '00 it is 52079 010AF.

Now it has been my experience that the letters don't mean squat. Thinking more a year designation. Also at the link above see how they wrote '97 to '01 on it. You will have to magnify one of the pictures to see it.

So here is where I get confused.

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/par...del=&Filter=(E=ERH;T=DGS;M=Limited+4+Door+4WD)

Now this says it fits my '00. But the letters are different. Remember what I said above. So no big deal. But change that to an '99 and it says it won't fit. I am leaning towards it will.

But one thing I have also run across is that a website will tell you it is available, you order it, they whack your card, then you get an email saying that their inventory is wrong. And now you just tied up $146 plus shipping for a bit.

I am thinking boneyard. I might even have one, if so it would be from a '99 (took the whole column for the cruise control), but no idea of its shape.

Typically the letters increase as the part is refined or updated.

The last time this part was available it was a "G" - 52079010A"G" but that's been discontinued.

You will either need to get it from the junkyard or aftermarket.

so maybe the plot thickens here, the 1 currently in it is from an 01 parts rig out back and my real bad one from my 99 is on it, it seemed like it fit either 1 just fine, i will compare the two after the snow storm,. i have a 99 out back i will grab 1 from temporarily , it might even have cruise control another upgrade i am hoping to make happen, unless it is a replace the entire column job. i am going to steal it's steering wheel and clock spring while i am at it.

i like the idea of making a custom heavy duty steering shaft. i will look at that more,

i did some brief searching earlier, seems most upgrades available are for the older rag joint style, and the ones that say they fit the 97+ dont have that center bearing pictured so am hesitant.

dude !! you rock ! yes that looks like it, thank you lazy, normally i am very good at finding parts, i looked through their site and even sent them an email with no answer, that is only in assuming it went through.

i did replace the 1 in my 99 from a parts vehicle i had last night, it doesnt seem any better than the 1 i had, so this is going on my list to buy. what i am finding is that there is play within the shaft where it slides together, at certain extended lengths the slop goes away. i must not be at that length anymore where the 2 parts are tight, maybe the durango box extends the length of the shaft to the slop point? or it is just wore out, i dunno.

i did check the 99 against the 01 i took out they seem to be identical, so the shaft linked in the above post should work on 97-01 even though it lists from 97-00

i also did do the cruise control swap, it was very easy, just replace the clock spring and the steering wheel, or install the switches, add the servo, the wiring and vacuum lines are all there and was a very simple swap, i have not been able to check if it works yet other than starting it up and clicking the cruise on, and the light in the dash lit up, i can only hope from there it is operational until i get my shock hoops welded in the rear and i can test drive it.

Back