• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

School Me On Renix Distributors, 1990 XJ

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi... For my still new to me XJ. 1990 4 liter six Renix. I am doing a tune up, I pulled the Cap and Rotor, they need replacement, center of cap brush is no longer spring loaded, contacts pitted Renix is new to me. I am used to points and vacuum and/or centrifugal timing advance mechanisms. Pulse rings, computer set timing and such are new to me

So with the cap off I twist the rotor shaft, and can rotate the shaft and the pulse ring. It can be rotated back and forth maybe a 1/4 inch or so along the outer edge of the pulse ring. It is NOT spring loaded as on a centrifugal advance distributor. It is simply backlash of the shaft, pulse ring, and of course the rotor also.

Is this normal to have back and forth lash in the rotor drive?????

Sure don't seem right to me, but this is all new to me.

Are there any unusual maintenance items on the ignition system I should now about in light of the fact I only know old cars. My Jeep is the newest vehicle I own, everthing else is a quirky old car, thus I can kindly use good advice on these modern systems!

Why does my rotor drive shaft rock back and forth freely?

Thanks in advance!

Keep Jeeping!

The only real issue I've ever had with shaft play is side to side, not rotational. The drive gears are cut at an angle and the design seems to deal with gear play on it's own.
Worn out shaft bushings will cause issues and eventually an exploded ignition rotor.
That rotational play can fool you, as the shaft may actually be lifting a little as you try to rotate it.
Been my experience the distributor play is pretty forgiving, except as I've stated, side to side play.

Yep, do Cruisers tips and new Champion spark plugs only. None of those fancy type of plugs, the Renix doesnt like them.

Since the rig is new to you, research all the info on Naxja like your intank fuel pump hose clamps that come loose over time and hose works off the pump, A bear to diagnose if you dont know about it.

It is not normal, as I discovered this year. There is roll sheer pin that holds the drive gear on the Dizzy shaft, the gear that the Cam shaft drives, and that shear pin is shearing and will at some point sheer and break. Mine did. That was how I finally solved some crazy engine issues that came and went and got way worse in the last weeks as the gear slopped around on the damaged sheer pin. I figured it out just before was going to pull the head/engine..... and found the rotor was no longer a 1/4 and then 3/8" of slop, but was free wheeling, LOL. New one and my other rigs used ones have zero slop.

Howdy Mud!!!! Happy Holidays!

Hi... For my still new to me XJ. 1990 4 liter six Renix. I am doing a tune up, I pulled the Cap and Rotor, they need replacement, center of cap brush is no longer spring loaded, contacts pitted Renix is new to me. I am used to points and vacuum and/or centrifugal timing advance mechanisms. Pulse rings, computer set timing and such are new to me

So with the cap off I twist the rotor shaft, and can rotate the shaft and the pulse ring. It can be rotated back and forth maybe a 1/4 inch or so along the outer edge of the pulse ring. It is NOT spring loaded as on a centrifugal advance distributor. It is simply backlash of the shaft, pulse ring, and of course the rotor also.

Is this normal to have back and forth lash in the rotor drive?????

Sure don't seem right to me, but this is all new to me.

Are there any unusual maintenance items on the ignition system I should now about in light of the fact I only know old cars. My Jeep is the newest vehicle I own, everthing else is a quirky old car, thus I can kindly use good advice on these modern systems!

Why does my rotor drive shaft rock back and forth freely?

Thanks in advance!

Keep Jeeping!

Renix works great on NGK plugs. Ask Cruiser and others.

Yep, do Cruisers tips and new Champion spark plugs only. None of those fancy type of plugs, the Renix doesnt like them.

Since the rig is new to you, research all the info on Naxja like your intank fuel pump hose clamps that come loose over time and hose works off the pump, A bear to diagnose if you dont know about it.

Back