• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need 2nd opinion/confirmation on airbag light diagnosis

98savages

NAXJA Forum User
Good evening,

I bought a 1998XJ sport back in June. It had the airbag light on when I bought it. The previous owner thought it was a clock spring, so he replaced that. They’re a bag light was still on after that.

I noticed that the light does not stay on constant, sometimes it will go off while I’m driving down the road but I learned not to hold my breath as it always comes back on again eventually during the same trip.

I put the run the wiring and noticed that the wires going to the seatbelt were severed, so I spliced and reconnected using push connectors. Both wires are black so I wasn’t sure which side they should be on but I swapped the connection and there was no change in the airbag light.

I took the jeep to the dealership to have them read the airbag light codes. These are the mechanics notes:

“Airbag light comes on intermittently. Checked airbag light on, check vehicle for codes, no NE found active or stored, have communication, have proper power and ground supplies to controllers, MIC says ORC commanding light on, ORC states light commanded on however no codes, suspect internal short in ORC module, must replace ORC with known good new component before any further diagnosis can be performed but I’m relatively positive ORC will fix problem.”

They quoted me $500 to replace this airbag control module. I found a new one on eBay for 65 bucks And I’m confident in my ability to install it myself per several write ups that I have read over the past few months regarding this issue.

I was just wondering if anyone had a second opinion regarding the situation, whether anyone can confirm and agree with the mechanics diagnosis, etc. before I go ahead with this fix.

I think the real reason why am asking this question is because of the fact of the light comes on and off intermittently. If the airbag control module was bad, wouldn’t the light stay on constantly? I’m probably wrong about that, so I just wanted to post this and be sure. The only stupid question is on you don’t ask, right? I did use the search function and read through 10 pages of posts and haven’t come across anything like what I’m dealing with.

Thanks so much for your time.

The light going on/off/on suggests a connection problem, but it be could be a controller problem. The reason for the malfunction may never be known.

I have installed junkyard airbag parts in several crashed/repaired XJ's with good results. The airbag system is self testing, if the light is off, the system is functional.

The light going on/off/on suggests a connection problem, but it be could be a controller problem. The reason for the malfunction may never be known.

I have installed junkyard airbag parts in several crashed/repaired XJ's with good results. The airbag system is self testing, if the light is off, the system is functional.

Thank you for responding.

Suppose I were to go to the junkyard and get a used airbag control module – assuming it works – would it need to be programmed at the dealership for my specific vehicle? I know some of them are plug-and-play I just don’t know if it is for a 1998.

1997-2001 airbag parts are plug and play. The only difference is non-cruise control vs. cruise control clock springs.

Use proper airbag safety precautions.

WARNING: THE AIRBAG SYSTEM IS A SENSITIVE, COMPLEX ELECTROMECHANICAL UNIT. BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DIAGNOSE OR SERVICE ANY AIRBAG SYSTEM OR RELATED STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENTS YOU MUST FIRST DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE. THEN WAIT TEN MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE FURTHER SYSTEM SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

1997-2001 airbag parts are plug and play. The only difference is non-cruise control vs. cruise control clock springs.

Use proper airbag safety precautions.

WARNING: THE AIRBAG SYSTEM IS A SENSITIVE, COMPLEX ELECTROMECHANICAL UNIT. BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DIAGNOSE OR SERVICE ANY AIRBAG SYSTEM OR RELATED STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENTS YOU MUST FIRST DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE. THEN WAIT TEN MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE FURTHER SYSTEM SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

Ok great thanks. And yes I also plan on isolating the airbags themselves by way of the yellow disconnects under the dash.

Is your airbag module under the seat or under the center console?

The reason I ask is there was a recall about this issue.
http://www.arfc.org/autos/jeep/cherokee/recalls/000010455000203443000000258/recall.aspx

Yes the recall was handled with my Jeep. The control module was relocated under the center console on the hump.

Because the light goes on and off intermittently, indicating a connection issue, I do plan on cutting the carpet in that area to check the ground and make sure that is squared away first, and cleaning the connections on the module before replacing the whole module itself.

Just want to post an update:

Got a new module on eBay for $40, did the install in 30 mins, fired him up and the airbag light is now off. Hooray!

Back