• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best place to get a 4.0?

CRASH

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I know some of you guys poke around junkyards a lot. I need a low mileage 4.0 HO motor, long block. I will most likely be swapping all my Renix junk over, and then adapting the HO throttle body to the Renix intake manifold.

What's a good price on a low mileage 4.0 HO? Best place to find one?

CRASH

Sorry no help...but YOU FAWKIN PSYCHO. I too am interested in Lu's take on the get-homer mission. The innocent victim's version is usually better

The 'book' solution is carry an extra oil change and bucket when ya drown the motor (even a moderate drowning can induce ) but just keep nailing it works :dunno:

I have been there twice... once with the MJ where an oil change and hosing the red-mud out of the radiator would have saved a 120k 4.0, and another time that I drowned during lunch in CAD class (swabbed the polliwogs out of the airbox with my 'good' t-shirt, made it back to class with froggy soup pissing from everywhere in the DOT HQ parking lot for the afternoon LOL) changed oil after, and the 4.0 still runs every day.

As far as snowmelt in June? WTF with that? :viking:
See what all that anti - global - warming chit does!

ebay has a few nothing special

email this guy, they are in redding and delivered my rearend to my doorstep for a good price. they may be a truck only place.

[email protected]

Email Sean, OP, that works at American river and see if he can hook you up, they seem to be one of the more reasonable local yards.

Copart finder is good, but of course plan on shipping, but no tax, if ordering out of state.

http://www.car-part.com/

They have a per search fee, but they helped me find lots of places for my 8.8

I know a good local place that sells explorer 5.0s :D

After having done what you're talking about, here's my .02 cents worth:

Don't try to adapt the HO throttle body to the Renix (pain in the butt and never worked right).

Junkyard motors are just that, unless you can find a yard that has run and checked (ie. leaks, compression and noises) and knows exactly how many miles are on the motor. Good used motors are nearly as much as rebuilds.

Napa sells a rebuild kit for $600. Add in machine work and you're looking at about a $1000 to $1200.

A.F.D. Motors has 4 litres for $1500. That includes removal of old, installation of new and a 12 month, unlimited mile warranty. I've dealt with this guy, he does great work.

AFD Motors, (916) 921-2574

HTH.

I was looking for a motor for my YJ but decided to drop in a Vortec V8...anyways, best place I found was "Scottys" Jeep junk yard in Souther California. Their motors are compressioned checked and garrented running for $700. Also, Collin Bro's Jeep in TX has rebuilt long-blocks for $1200.

if you are really quick any stealership lot.

Back