• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opinions needed

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
so here is my situation i have a 4.5 inch lift running 32 MT's running stock 3.07's. I live in Moreno Valley and I am stationed in san diego. Looking at my options either regear at a cost of around 900-1000 bucks, or run a smaller less aggressive tire. set to cost about 800 wheels/tires. that way I could save my MT's for when I want to go off road. My reason for this question is that Im only getting 250 miles per tank. 95 miles one way. Just wondering what you all would do. I either have to find a way to increase my mileage or I am gonna have to get rid of my jeep which I really dont want to do. thanks for the help guys.

spend the cash on a beater commuter

I don't think any Cherokee gets real good mpg.
The best I have heard is 17. And that on a stock rig. I'm lucky to get 11 or 12.If you need good milage....a cherokee is not the answer.
Rick R

I have to assume that with 3.07 gears you have a stick?

Leave it in fourth, the rpm goes up and the motor doesn't work as hard...just like having lower gears. Mileage should be the same on the highway as if you had lower gears, but it won't help you around town any.

250 per tank isn't so bad. If you fill up with about 16 gallons (like mine when its on empty), then thats 15.5 mpg. And if your tires are 32's then you can add about 15%...thats almost 18 mpg because you actually have put almost 290 miles on(even though it says 250).

If you need more than that...you need a different vehicle.

Actualy this begs the question..

Are you getting 250 miles per tank?

Realize that unless you changed your speedometer gear your speedometer and odometer are both incorrect.

Also John is right on keeping the revs up a bit. If I run around at about 2500 rpm I'll pick up about two extra miles per gallon than if I were running at 2000, it's all about the power band.

But.. As was previously stated... If you've got the coin for a 900 - 1000 gear job I'd sink that money into a nice cheap little car (I actually like Neons myself) since you're driving that many miles per day. After awhile the money you save in gas will pay for the gears you need in the Jeep.

I agree with everyone else, re-gear or get a commuter. Having two sets of tires for offroading and street suck up lots of room. But then again, so does a commuter car. :) Its up to you how big you wanna get with your Jeep.

Buy my 2004 Chevy Cavalier. 32000 Miles. 30+ mpg.

homebrew said:
so here is my situation i have a 4.5 inch lift running 32 MT's running stock 3.07's. I live in Moreno Valley and I am stationed in san diego. Looking at my options either regear at a cost of around 900-1000 bucks, or run a smaller less aggressive tire. set to cost about 800 wheels/tires. that way I could save my MT's for when I want to go off road. My reason for this question is that Im only getting 250 miles per tank. 95 miles one way. Just wondering what you all would do. I either have to find a way to increase my mileage or I am gonna have to get rid of my jeep which I really dont want to do. thanks for the help guys.

While not exactly the same I'm running the AW-4 with 4.56s & 32s on a 4.5"
lift with a recalibrated speedo gear and at about 240 to 250 I'm looking for the gas pump.... :bawl:
so the $$ might be better spent towards the commuter rig..... bricks with wheels don't make for
good (or decent) mileage.
Good Luck...
Curt

Back