• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

External fuel pump install on a 90 XJ

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Not for me but a friend of mine is having constant fuel pump issues on his 90 trail rig and would like to do a external fuel pump with his stock tank. He has figured out how to deleate the stock pump and still retain the sending unit and pickup screen.

Has anyone done it!

What/which pump do you recommend

He is wanting to do this for a couple of reasons and the main one being for easier trail repair/replacement of the pump.

Not on my rig, but I helped a trailside install of a fuel pump from a 5.0 mustang in the location of the fuel filter. We used an existing toggle switch/relay, and ran a power lead to the new pump. He was still using it when I saw him again 3 months later.

mid eighties Ford trucks came with both internal and external pump as a booster. I'd try to retain the internal pump for safety sake and maybe install the external as a "limp home" alternative. Also, if he decides to use only an external pump, remember that an electric pump is a great "pusher" of gas, but it is a horrible "puller". Make sure to mount it as close to the source of the fuel (tank) and slightly lower than the outlet so the fuel flows into the inlet.

I put an external pump on my 94 XJ. Use a P5000 from Napa. It comes with the harness and is a self priming pump. Plus if you burn it out it can be gotten at any Napa. I have had no issues with it.

Back