• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VSS interchangeability?

themauler

NAXJA Forum User
Hello NAXJA,

So recently my speedometer has been bouncing around starting at 65mph. Bouncing around to the point I am afraid the needle is just going to break from the thing going from 65 to 85 in a flash. My jeep is a 93 4.0, but I swapped in a ax15/231 from a 97 last summer. I did some wiring since the VSS from the 93 and 97 is different (2 wires for the 93 and 3 wires for the 97) and it had all been working fine since summer. I am afraid I fried the VSS with the 12v coming from the battery since it is only supposed to have 5v. Does anyone know if I can put a VSS from a 93 np231 with the tall speedo gear into the 97 np231 which has the short speedo gear.

Is it possibly to fry the VSS? I haven't pulled the speedo gear out to see if it is broken but it is a different one that stock to correct my 4.56 gears and 33" tires.

Reason being I would rather have the original wiring back to normal

This is how I connected the 97 VSS to my 93 plug on the firewall. Two wires (ground and continuity) come from the VSS to the firewall plug and the third wire from the VSS goes to the battery.

Back