• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix hard to find parts sources thread

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
This thread is for discussion of and links for hard to find, no longer made or hard to find quality parts for the 87-90 Renix jeeps, and substitute fixes...

Frustratingly.., I envy those that have JY's, (Junk Yards), in their respective areas in which to gather parts, hopefully useful OEM parts, especially for the RENIX XJ versions.

Ever since that chairmanmaoobamasoma decreed that "cash for clunkers" scam.., ((I saw many crushed vehicles stacked on 18 wheeler flat-bed trailers leave my area to be scrapped/melted somewheres)), my hunt for JY OEM parts has been a day-mare. I understand many of 'ya all have been somewhat successful in finding said. Great! BUT: Chinese parts; is like playing Russian Roulette.

I did manage to get a broken down '88 for my '89 in which I hope to dismantle the former, and store all useful looking parts.., some of which will need to be triaged during some future rainy-day; cleaned up, and checked into as being suitable, and shelved as viable replacement parts.

Would be a hell of lot easier if the U.S.A. OEM parts manufactures would continue to maintain a small level of replacement parts.., but 'they' want us to buy the latest unreliable vehicles. (I am amazed at those sites that report the top 10, etc., new vehicles, and I notice that Jeeps/Cherokees, ferds, chebies, dogers, etc., all seem to continue to remain middle to low on all scales.., but I digress).

Short of all of those subtle points above, I figure maybe some NAXJA Renix Member might find it profitable to nick-knack around in various JY's, and follow through with some Q.C. checks to said OEM Renix parts, and place a surplus amount of parts up for sale in the NAXJA 'for sale' area. Just a thought!! Would I be willing to purchase an old OEM 'metered' CPS, and pay more. Sure would!! After all; that chinese crap, etc., is a waste of money, or at least a hassle in returning to the parts store, (time, distance, money), blah, blah, and worse the working time spent 2x, or 3x on, in, and around the Renix XJ. Seems most agree that vehicle specific OEM parts is less of a crap shoot. I have also noticed that a lot of Jeep/Cherokee parts-houses mostly sell chinese crap now.

Happy New Year, and the best of winter trails.

I figure maybe some NAXJA Renix Member might find it profitable to nick-knack around in various JY's, and follow through with some Q.C. checks to said OEM Renix parts, and place a surplus amount of parts up for sale in the NAXJA 'for sale' area. Just a thought!!
I have started collecting the factory AC delete brackets because the aftermarket does not seem to supply them.

Is it flex plates or flywheels that are forged from unobtanium?

I have little fear of using China electrical parts and very few if any OEM parts are made outside of China anyway. I find that the source-supplier issue varies by part. For instance I will no longer use any thermostats not made in Israel and labeled Murray. But I have no problem with some China parts. I just bought a USB 15 foot spy camera snooper for my cell phone from China for $13 delivered. It works great. Head is so small I can put it inside the combustion chamber through the spark plug hole to snoop around and see the valves.

That said, I do not trust bearings and shaft seals on water pumps from China!!!! I use only German Bosch water pumps now. I have yet to buy a single OEM Mopar jeep part since I bought my first XJ jeep 14 years ago. I also only use Bosch Fuel pumps.

Many of my best tools are now made in China (and some are crap, but those are getting scarce). My new wire welder is made in China.

I suspect my spark plugs are made in China?

I just bought a bunch of Renix MAP sensors from China, on Ebay for about $7 each delivered. Compare that to $80? from the dealer??? I have no problem with China parts like the MAP sensor. My TV, laptop and computer monitor are made in China. Best most reliable electronics I have owned in 50 years.

I also bought a bunch of Renix TPS sensors for about $7 delivered, each from China on Ebay recently. I have complete faith in them.

I am having problems with stuff like brake wheel cylinders right of the box, no matter where I buy them.

My recent buys of new complete electric fans from China are awesome quality. Body parts from China are OK.

Most of the bad parts I have bought the last 5 years came from Autozone, and they have become far too common. Had few problems with parts from Rock auto, but they have a wide selection of vendor parts.

Last edited:
I have started collecting the factory AC delete brackets because the aftermarket does not seem to supply them.

Is it flex plates or flywheels that are forged from unobtanium?

Renix Flex plates are available

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATP-Automat...ash=item54414ba038:g:HFEAAOSw9GhYcBE6&vxp=mtr

And it looks like this is the flywheel

https://www.amazon.com/AMS-Flywheel-Cherokee-Comanche-Wagoneer/dp/compatibility-chart/B000EQFI20

And

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sx_as?...74998&vehicle=1987-42-347-13-----3364-------1

I posted in another thread- no flex/flywheels for Renix, I was referring to 2.5s...........NONE!.

Note, even on the links you provided........limited stock. That said, for you 4.0 guys, you can still get them.
But, not for long.

If you've got a 84-90 MJ/XJ............save........search.......parts.

The second one seems to be a 2.5 L for a 1990?

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1990/jeep/cherokee/clutch/flex_plate.html

Seems to be several more on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...=1988+jeep+cherokee+2.5+flexplate&_sacat=6028

I posted in another thread- no flex/flywheels for Renix, I was referring to 2.5s...........NONE!.

Note, even on the links you provided........limited stock. That said, for you 4.0 guys, you can still get them.
But, not for long.

If you've got a 84-90 MJ/XJ............save........search.......parts.

I just bought a USB 15 foot spy camera snooper for my cell phone from China for $13 delivered. It works great. Head is so small I can put it inside the combustion chamber through the spark plug hole to snoop around and see the valves.

Did you get the one you posted the link to?

Did you get the one you posted the link to?

Yes, but you need read up issues with matching the camera to your phone and the software. Hard to tell from user feed back which software and phone works together. I think the software is more of a potential issue that the camera/cable. I may buy another some day with higher resolution and zoom, but I suspect they are still very expensive. For my current needs that one I posted the link to an bought, does things I could never do before. And the quality and price was awesome. I used the online free download software from CameraFi for starters, due to security issue warnings about the ones that come with the camera-their online in China download. I may shop for a better, non-free, US one, some day when I get bored.

I am real picky about what I use and download on my android cell phone.

Things ive noticed with the ones ive owned or seen are:
Rear wiper arms and bases with washer nipples intact
Power window regulators
Power lock actuators
Manual window assemblies that dont stop and click
Intact spring loaded throttle cables
Intact vacuum hose assemblies (can be sourced new at napa for around $60 though)
Drivers door lock cylinders
Pristine door mirrors
Nice chrome/anodized trim
Fuel line to fuel rail o rings (havent seen new replacements specifically for them)
Console lid latches that aren't broken
Lower dash trim with ash tray tabs intact and not cracked at either lower corner of the tray cutout
Full gauge clusters are nice to have for renix or ho
10 slot and 21 slot grilles are unicorn pieces
Original electric fans are harder to find that aren't cracked
Original closed system copper radiators without leaks

Things ive noticed with the ones ive owned or seen are:
Rear wiper arms and bases with washer nipples intact
Power window regulators
Power lock actuators
Manual window assemblies that dont stop and click
Intact spring loaded throttle cables
Intact vacuum hose assemblies (can be sourced new at napa for around $60 though)
Drivers door lock cylinders
Pristine door mirrors
Nice chrome/anodized trim
Fuel line to fuel rail o rings (havent seen new replacements specifically for them)
Console lid latches that aren't broken
Lower dash trim with ash tray tabs intact and not cracked at either lower corner of the tray cutout
Full gauge clusters are nice to have for renix or ho
10 slot and 21 slot grilles are unicorn pieces
Original electric fans are harder to find that aren't cracked
Original closed system copper radiators without leaks

Fuel line to fuel rail seal kit. 83502745.

Vacuum harnesses: http://cruiser54.com/?p=121

"Jeep" logo OEM fog light covers.

Hoses for the Renix coolant bottle to pipe T's and from the heater core to the pipe Ts, some brilliant person designed them with two different hose IDs on each end.

The bottom hose on the coolant bottle is easy to find and cheap ($10), but the heater core hoses and the side of the coolant bottle hose to the pipe T is made of Unobtainiam right now.

8" of hose and they want $15-$40 each delivered.

I bought 2 sets delivered for about $4 each last month from one of our Jeep aftermarket vendors, but their entire stock was hard like concrete and all had to be sent back to China as they damage the heater core nipples during installation and clamps could not squeeze them they were so hard, like plastic.

Hoses for the Renix coolant bottle to pipe T's and from the heater core to the pipe Ts, some brilliant person designed them with two different hose IDs on each end.

The bottom hose on the coolant bottle is easy to find and cheap ($10), but the heater core hoses and the side of the coolant bottle hose to the pipe T is made of Unobtainiam right now.

8" of hose and they want $15-$40 each delivered.

I bought 2 sets delivered for about $4 each last month from one of our Jeep aftermarket vendors, but their entire stock was hard like concrete and all had to be sent back to China as they damage the heater core nipples during installation and clamps could not squeeze them they were so hard, like plastic.

Just get some 1/2 inch heater hose and spray some wd40 ( or equivalent) on the tee side , it will slide right on .... Done this for years without a single problem.

And you can use the 97 and newer heater hoses and lose the heater valve ,or use the same 97+ hoses and cut them to accept the heater valve if you wish to keep it

Last edited:
Back