• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hillz N Hollarz in KY closed (action needed)

BlackHole XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Temporarily closed
(As of Tuesday January 27, 2008)
PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS POST!!!
January 30, 2008
Dear HNH Supporters, Members, and Future Guests,
It is with absolute astonishment that I share the following with each of you. On January 4th, 2008, I received a letter from the Henry County Board of Adjustments “welcoming” me to attend the Jan. 28th meeting “if” I would like to address several “complaints” and alleged violations. This was an open and public meeting, yet no advertisement was placed in the local paper letting folks know about this meeting. (All public meetings must be advertised in the county paper)
Here is a sample of the alleged violations and complaints:
  1. <LI class=style21>The board shared that by digging existing mud holes deeper, this was a “capital improvement” to the property and a violation of my conditional use permit. <LI class=style21>Trail system is not marked making it easy for guests to trespass on others land.
  2. Caused a traffic jam on Hwy 389…One day August 4th…
These are just a few of the complaints and violations. It will not surprise you that these complaints have come from TWO people and TWO people only. It is the same TWO people that have made it their personal mission to KEEP HNH CLOSED.
The board without proof other than signed affidavits from Mr. Mike Marshall and Mr. William “Bill” Heady came to the conclusion they had enough “proof” to close HNH for 60 days to “give us time” to correct the alleged violations and complaints, but they didn’t provide us with a solution on how to fix it.
This is where it becomes real interesting:
This board decided not to HONOR or abide by the conditions that THEY PUT IN PLACE per the Conditional Use Permit!
In section 11 of the Certificate of Land Use Restriction it CLEARLY States:
Upon any violation of this conditional permit, the applicants will first be notified verbally. If the violation is not corrected, a letter will be officially sent to the applicant stating what the violation is and WHAT TO DO TO CORRECT IT. If it is still not corrected, applicants will have to appear before this Body, and the conditional use permit may be pulled.
As you can obviously see, the board simply skipped the first two steps of notification and proceeded to the last one.
What is even more ironic is the board hasn’t even been in the trail system within the last 6 months to see first hand how the park is laid out. The simply took the word of a man who not only sued HNH, myself, and the property owner, but who also sued each board member and the county judge for allowing this permit to be granted in the first place.
The final vote to shut HNH down for 60 days was placed by Vice-Chair Dennis Yeary. (Public minutes verify this)
You would have thought HNH would at least have been given the opportunity to correct the proposed complaints and violations before they shut HNH down for 60 days or longer!
Without giving away too much information, HNH has filed a new revised application.
What Does this Mean???
IT MEANS I NEED YOUR SUPPORT ONCE AGAIN!​
I am personally asking each and every one of you who enjoy HNH or value offroading to please clear your calendars for the following:
Monday, February 25th, 7:00pm
Henry County Courthouse
New Castle, KY 40065
(Arrive Early to assure a seat)
ALL GUESTS WILL RECEIVE A FREE WEEKEND PASS TO HNH AT NO CHARGE FOR ATTENDING THE MEETING.
Some locals do not think there is a need for HNH. Your Body in the courthouse will show them otherwise. PLEASE SHOW YOUR SUPPORT!
Earlier this summer, several of you were confronted by a man wearing camo gear and strapped with a pistol. This man was hiding in the woods on HNH property illegally filming guests of HNH without their permission. This man also harassed and threatened several of you. Ironically enough, the same man who wore full camo gear on an 86 degree day, trespassed on HNH to illegally film guests is the SAME man who is trying to get the park shut down. This man is once again William “Bill” Heady.
If you were in the group that was harassed or filmed, please contact me directly as we would like to send those who were harassed an affidavit to sign as this appears to be what the board listens to. Call our office at 502.655.2425.
The courthouse can hold around 190 people. We packed it last time; we need it packed this time! If you drive a Rig that is street legal, please drive this to the meeting and park around the courthouse so everyone can see what kind following we have and how much money will leave Henry County if this park is not opened back up.
If any of you have media contacts, please let me know. Everyone needs to know how the Henry County Board of Adjustments operates. Call you local state representative and senator and let them know also!
I thank you in advance for your support regarding this matter.

Respectfully,
Joe-Property Manager

Anybody know how this went Monday?

There's nothing new on their website, and it was just too far for me to go myself...

Robert

Cool, thanks.

For those that don't wanna read it all, apparently the board they went before was pretty non-specific and non-cooperative.

They want Joe to repair a gate across the road, but wouldn't confirm whether it's even legal to have a gate across a public road.

They listed a half dozen or so fencing and signage issues, but refused to give him anything in writing.

He's working to get all their requirements in writing, and organize a working weekend on the 8-9th.

For those that do want to read it, their forum is upside-down, with new posts at the top. The pertinent (post-meeting) info starts on page three (Reply 65) and runs up to page one.

Thanks again!
Robert

Joe said:
Opening Weekend
April 5th & 6th!

Pending the board's approval Monday the 24th, HNH will open its gates for Season 2 the first weekend in April. Sat.-5th & Sun.-6th. Friday will be a trail cleaning day. Be one of the first to see the new layout. Maps with trails clearly marked will be given to all guests of the park. The trails have REALLY changed as I have been working on some "enhancements"......

BIG NEWS: Ride for $10.00 a Day whenever open! As the economy takes it toll on us in different ways, I want to make sure everyone is still able to enjoy offroading. Fred, my partner and I have enjoyed laying HNH out and are REALLY excited about what we are bringing out later in 08! We have worked very hard to KEEP HNH OPEN. Parks are closing all over the place and riding spots are almost gone. I am excited about the roll Ky Govt has taken in supporting Adventure Tourism. I am optimistic some great things are going to happen with offroading in KY!

I would like to thank everyone for offering their time, support, and thoughts during this time. Without that support, I would have stopped fighting a long time ago.

Remember: $10.00 ALL YEAR LONG!

I look forward to seeing you on the trails. U-Joint has CRAZY now! W Trail is really nice and TOUGH coming out when wet. MUD HOLES are DEEP.....

HNH upon re-opening will ask Henry County for permission to host another Mud Run. More Information to Follow.

-Joe

I am happy to announce HNH will Re-Open for the 2008 Season the weekend of April 5th and 6th. Being closed in February and March allowed nature to takes its course and really enhance the trail system. Some of the existing trails will be widened in an effort to decrease “redneck pinstriping” or tree branch scratches. I am in the process of updating the tabs on the website so please ignore the fees tab and waiver tabs. HNH has a new waiver for 08.

2008 FEES

Ride for only $10.00: INCLUDES ALL ORV’s

Guest/Passengers OVER 16 years: $5.00 ($8.00 for Mud Bog Runs)

Guest Passengers UNDER 16 years: FREE

Camping: $5.00 per person over 16

As many of you know, HNH is a non-profit organization and operates solely on gate receipts and private donations. EVERY penny the park receives goes towards operating and maintaining the park.

SEE YOU ON THE TRAILS!!

Just to let you know, I went to Hillz and Hollarz this past weekend and it is wonderful. joe, The property Manager is a spectacular guy that is dedicated to keeping the park open. He told me he had over 80 people there on Saturday and there appeared to be at least 50 or so on Sunday. That was not just jeeps but also ATVs.

I encourage everyone to check this park out. It is OVER 900 acres and he is still expanding. Please Tread Lightly as he is still under criticism from one surrounding land owner. Also take the time to talk to him. He is really excited about the park and would love to talk to people about the park and tell you what trails to take and what his future plans are.

I'll bring this very old and very dead thread back to life......

There is a new OHV Park opening in Henry County Kentucky.... in fact, it is the same land and trails that Hillz & Hollarz once operated. There is ZERO connection to the old H&H except the trails/land is the same. If you ever wheeled on this land, you know that the trails are awesome.

Here is a link to the facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mud-Madness/148910518620973

There is also another new OHV Park called Horseshoe Bend, which is located in nearby Owen County. You could do one park one day, and the other park the next. Horseshoe Bend has a Facebook page as well.

BTW, I have no connection to either park, I am simply posting the fact that two new OHV Parks have opened in the same area. We don't hear of this happening too often.

I'll bring this very old and very dead thread back to life......

There is a new OHV Park opening in Henry County Kentucky.... in fact, it is the same land and trails that Hillz & Hollarz once operated. There is ZERO connection to the old H&H except the trails/land is the same. If you ever wheeled on this land, you know that the trails are awesome.

Here is a link to the facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mud-Madness/148910518620973

There is also another new OHV Park called Horseshoe Bend, which is located in nearby Owen County. You could do one park one day, and the other park the next. Horseshoe Bend has a Facebook page as well.

BTW, I have no connection to either park, I am simply posting the fact that two new OHV Parks have opened in the same area. We don't hear of this happening too often.

Not to mention Dirty Turtle, which is not far away at all.

Thinking it over, do we know what kind of relationship the new owners have with the town council, et al?

I ask because for one, it would suck to get it all going again, just to get shut down. Again.

But even more, it would tick me right off if it turned out that the locals ran Joe out on a rail, then bought up his land and reopened it themselves, to make money off his work.

I know, I'm cynical. But in general, I've found that people do suck.

Robert

Thinking it over, do we know what kind of relationship the new owners have with the town council, et al?

I ask because for one, it would suck to get it all going again, just to get shut down. Again.

But even more, it would tick me right off if it turned out that the locals ran Joe out on a rail, then bought up his land and reopened it themselves, to make money off his work.

I know, I'm cynical. But in general, I've found that people do suck.

Robert

One of the neighbors that were fighting with Joe, died and the other one moved out of the area. As far as I know, there are no issues or problems with Henry County officials.

As far as ownership of the land...... Joe never owned any of it.... the same man has owned it since 1969...

IIRC, Joe's family lived in Henry County.

Last edited:
One snag:

Rule 8. Off-road vehicles for use in the park MUST be hauled into the park.
1.Parking is located in a clearly posted area approximately ½ mile from the entrance.
2.All vehicles utilized in the park must be unloaded, started, and ridden into the park from the parking area ONLY.

So, that sucks.

So, I have to tow my street legal vehicle with the truck and trailer I don't have? I'll just hit dirty turtle then.

So, I have to tow my street legal vehicle with the truck and trailer I don't have? I'll just hit dirty turtle then.

Yep. I tow, but a LOT of my buddies drive.

Should still be popular with the quad guys...

Back