• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Pump

xCWolf

Bring the Boom
NAXJA Member
Hey friends!

I'm on my second XJ and both of them have gone through about 1 power steering pump per year

My first XJ was a 2000 AW4 8.25 i6
second one is identical aside from color.
(coincidentally enough, they also had the same 176xxx miles when I bought them)
Either way they keep blowing up, OEM aftermarket remanned new "off-brand" all of them blew on stock tires.

There must be something I'm missing that's causing this. When the pump goes I replace the pump, reservoir, and pulley. I don't replace the hoses if they're not leaking and not beat up/rusted etc. (when it starts to leak it's not from the hoses from what I can see)

Or better yet, is there a bolt on aftermarket upgrade that will hold up better?

Am I missing something that should be replaced/inspected when I'm doing this job? I'm just kind of sick of buying and replacing this every year.

Thanks!

I have been running a PSC pump for several years now without any real problems to speak of.

I had to replace the O-ring between the pump and the tank. That is the only issue I have had.

Lacking punctuation I have no clue how to interpret
OEM aftermarket remanned new "off-brand"*

I would suggest you get a good quality unit to start with.

Tire size? How are you bleeding them when replacing? I used to do the method of on jacks and turn back and forth but now I vacuum bleed it. I take probably longer than I need but upon initial startup there is no noise at all from the pump.

Wrong fluid, or cheap crappy Chinese parts ? Are flushing the system before the new install ?

@Anak My apologies, I've used new and used OEM parts, and new and remanned aftermarket parts with same outcome.

Wrong fluid, or cheap crappy Chinese parts ? Are flushing the system before the new install ?

The system tends to flush itself before I have a chance. but maybe I should ACTUALLY flush it correctly

Although as far as fluid I usually just use autozone brand power steering to refill it after but I'm not sure what the jeeps have come with

If you got a bad gear box that spits metal chunks, or that has a leak that lets air in, then that can harm the pump.

I'll have to take a look at that as well

Mopar MS-5931 Power Steering Fluid is specified, some national brands and store brands meet this spec.

@Anak My apologies, I've used new and used OEM parts, and new and remanned aftermarket parts with same outcome.

The system tends to flush itself before I have a chance. but maybe I should ACTUALLY flush it correctly

Although as far as fluid I usually just use autozone brand power steering to refill it after but I'm not sure what the jeeps have come with

I'll have to take a look at that as well

I use the Oreilly power steering fluid, the clear stuff.

I also put an inline filter in the system, upstream of my cooler.

Magnafine filter....

https://magnefinefilters.com/NEW-Ma...ine-Power-Steering-Filter-R038M-P-3810000.htm

3rd on the filter. After a flush & adding one I haven't had any trouble for 5+ years.

JIM.

Back