• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upper sway bar bushings nearly touch coil springs?

klarue

NAXJA Forum User
Hi folks - I got an OME lift a couple of years ago and the ass-end of my 2000 XJ was up in the air. Then about a year later, I put an ARB front bumper and winch on the front, but by that time the springs in the rear had settled a bit. Still, the front end is about 1" - 1.5" lower than the rear and I'd like for the entire rig to be level.

So here's my question: when I looked under there, the upper sway bar bushings were touching the coil springs. I went to my local off-road "warehouse" who recommended a sway bar relocation kit and also new HD coil springs to help level the XJ out. They installed both. There was no change in the height (because they didn't go with longer coil springs methinks) and the upper bushings still seem very close and are not equi-distant from the coil - about an inch away on the drivers side and 1/2' on the passenger side.

Not sure what to do. Oh, I'll have them swap out the springs, but about those bushings... as long as they're not touching should I be concerned? Should they be the same distance away? I've looked at other XJs - stock and modified - and they are all much further away than mine. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Stack a second coil isolator in there. It measures like 3/4" . I did and man it looks like 2"

No idea on sway bar. I have two xj in the driveway. Neither have sway bars

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That's why they sell trackbar relocation brackets!

Not sure relocation brackets jive. Id assume they don't until I have angle finder on drag and tack

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Coil spring spacers as needed, and longer or adjustable sway bar links. Adjust the sway bar end to about 10* up and the swaybar ends will be far enough away from the coil springs.

standard.jpg

Hey guys - fantastic info. Thank you so much. I'm not a super-mechanic (as you probably figured out by now!), and suspension nuances are even more of a mystery. You've given me some good pointers to follow up on. Appreciate it!

Back