• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please Help, Smog Saga Continues!

Is your exhaust manifold cracked?

Dang Chuck, talk about some serious smog issues. Since you have changed a ton of parts already, have you looked at the top of the pistons? I have a small flashlight that has a bulb on a flexible shaft that will fit into the spark plug hole and I can see if the carbon might be a problem. I really think your problem just might be some carbon buildup in the cylinders. Go to your local Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge dealer for some combustion chamber cleaner (part#04318001) and try that before messing with your injectors. Follow the directions on the can carefully, just be sure to do it outside of the garage. ;)

Bryan C. said:
Dang Chuck, talk about some serious smog issues. Since you have changed a ton of parts already, have you looked at the top of the pistons? I have a small flashlight that has a bulb on a flexible shaft that will fit into the spark plug hole and I can see if the carbon might be a problem. I really think your problem just might be some carbon buildup in the cylinders. Go to your local Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge dealer for some combustion chamber cleaner (part#04318001) and try that before messing with your injectors. Follow the directions on the can carefully, just be sure to do it outside of the garage. ;)

Is it like Seafoam?

I was just reading some googled info and I thinkk your right, that it leads me to think I just have some more carbon build up.

ChuckD said:
As far as this cleaner can i put it directly on the cylinders? Like through the sparkplug hole? Seafom has me use it through the intake when running.

I usually take out the spark plugs and shoot some directly onto the tops of the pistons. Then reinstall the plugs and spray the rest into the intake while the engine is running. Once the can is empty, immediately turn off the engine and let it soak for about 2-3 hours. Restart the engine and let it idle for about 10-15 mins. Then drive it and hit 5k rpm a few times and you should be good once the smoke from the exhaust stops.

Bryan C. said:
I usually take out the spark plugs and shoot some directly onto the tops of the pistons. Then reinstall the plugs and spray the rest into the intake while the engine is running. Once the can is empty, immediately turn off the engine and let it soak for about 2-3 hours. Restart the engine and let it idle for about 10-15 mins. Then drive it and hit 5k rpm a few times and you should be good once the smoke from the exhaust stops.

Should I worry about the new CAT getting clogged? I did do the 590 Distilled water without a CAT from the instructions I found from him. Would I have to worry about Carbon clogging downstream?

ChuckD said:
Should I worry about the new CAT getting clogged? I did do the 590 Distilled water without a CAT from the instructions I found from him. Would I have to worry about Carbon clogging downstream?

No, this stuff dissolves the carbon and blows it out right past the cat. I did it on my Jeep with a new cat and I had no problems. Not to mention I have done it to quite a few customer cars too. You should be fine.

You do have it good and warmed up when you go right, I often take it out of OD to get the revs up and make it work a little bit to get the cat nice and toasty warm thats when they work best.
Pull the vac hose off the regulator to make sure its getting good vaccum. I suppose a really worn dizzy may screw up the timing enough to cause problems but I think that would be a long shot.

My junk passes the sniffer test fine even with no egr. But my smog buddy does know how to run it in the right revs to help pass the test.

Gary E said:
You do have it good and warmed up when you go right, I often take it out of OD to get the revs up and make it work a little bit to get the cat nice and toasty warm thats when they work best.
Pull the vac hose off the regulator to make sure its getting good vaccum. I suppose a really worn dizzy may screw up the timing enough to cause problems but I think that would be a long shot.

My junk passes the sniffer test fine even with no egr. But my smog buddy does know how to run it in the right revs to help pass the test.

It was plenty warm on the last test, I drove it 35+ miles to the smog shop, gauge was at 180 all the way there.

Regulator meaning the EGR? I don't have an EGR since it's a HO.

Neil says he found some injectors, they are the same from 87 on up right?

fuel pressure regulator A guage to check the Fuel pressure might be good to. Just trying to think of why the problem would be so bad a new cat wouldn't fix it.

ChuckD said:
Got it, I have been looking in the fuel delivery direction. Do you think an adj MAP may help? If I need to get that desparate.

no you have a problem somewhere that is causing it to run lean, 02 sensor or harness or something. Don't those pentstar thingys have codes or anything? the sure way to fix it is to put some french controls on it :)

I have an 89, but had very similar problems. So I know it is a little different year, but maybe my experience will help. (Borla Header, Isky Cam #133125- 10% bigger, stock size injectors, XJ-Armor air tube, 90K on rebuilt engine. All other parts original.)

My Jeep ran nice, but I changed the plugs and checked cap and rotor then headed to the Test only shop. I failed for NOx! I changed the O2, CAT, Cap & Rotor, Wires, EGR (it looked rusty -you don’t have.) Then took it to test only with the engine nice and hot still I failed for NOx!. The readings were better but not passing. So I changed the MAP and CPS, indexed the distributor, thermostat 200 (from 180), changed oil viscosity to 20/50, adjusted TPS using FSM method. Checked compression and Fuel pressure and both were fine. After this mine ran sweeter, BUT failed still. As you can imagine I was pretty pissed off with the PRC (peoples republic of CA) by now.

I began to investigate for a “special shop” - no luck. So I called the CA BAR and they told me about the “Gold Shield” stations. They can test and repair “test only vehicles”. So I gathered my $$$ and drove my jeep to a GS shop with a list of what I had done so far. I told them I don’t care what it takes I need it to pass. Luckily I happened to be talking to the Owner and tester. (No he didn’t cheat.) After listening to my XJ and my story he told me it should pass. He then told me that the CAT needs to be REAL HOT not just the engine and that many of these Jeeps will fail for NOx it CAT is not real hot. He ran my Jeep for about 20 minutes at about 3500 rpm. Then tested. IT PASSED NO PROBLEM. The man told me that correcting the TPS setting, and changing O2 and CAT help always, but it probably would have passed with out buying any other parts.

Well I have a nice set of spare parts now for the trail and will swap my new/old Hollowed CAT and save the new CAT for the next 2 years.

Hope things get better for your XJ.

rs

Back