• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 to 89 Cluster swap

OverTheHillsATTW

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so today I ripped out my middle console, overhead console, seats and gauge cluster to my 1990 Laredo and started into my 89 pioneer. Well I got the old middle "consoles" out and the new vents in. I started taking my gauge cluster out and noticed it wasn't coming out that easy... I look behind it and it has a speedo cable. I figured it was plug and play but after checking out FAQ's they mentioned some having a cable. Now with that said I am wondering who can assist me on getting the cable off and being able to put my 1990 cluster in. The only diff. with the clusters is having a tach and small gas gauge all other meters and senders are there. I don't know if my 1990 has a speedo cable because it just pops out. Any help is appreciated.

Okay my 90 does have a cable but the cluster popped right out, I just can't get 89 to be so easy. Does anyone know how I can get it out?

Last edited:
well that is odd.the speedo cable should pop out of there with no troubles,the speedo on mine comes out very easily.maybe there is some kind of clip you gotta pop out first,or try to get some grease or pb blaster on it,and fiddle with the darn thing

I am going to try and use some PB blaster I just hope I can get enough room to squirt it. Thanks tho at least I know It's not hopeless.

Back