• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

disconnecting the ac

wim hoppenbrouwers

NAXJA Forum User
Repairs and refilling my ac from a 92 cherokee make me poor.:rattle:
So i like to disconnect it. The questions are about the electric connectors.
One of them goes to the ac en one is going to the filter. Do i have disconnect both or is then the electric aux fan also out of order
I like to switch on the defroster without the ac.and the aux fan is needed for cooling the rad.
Thanks in advance en greetings from Holland (Europe).

Hi Wim,
I did exactly that on my 98 cherokee because I could not stand the dimming lights and slight hesitation every time the A/C came on. Dealer told me they did that so no moisture would be blown on the windshield during defrost and I think...how did we ever get by for 50 years before without that as a problem!

I can supply you with details if you wish. I must confess I have some concerns about the A/C not running from Sept thru May relative to lack of circulating lubricant but it has been OK for nine years now. Be forewarned you will have to splice in some wires and pass them thru the firewall to a switch. You will also have to remove the bezel around the climate controls to access the blower switch for rewiring if you also want to shut the blower off in the low position as I also did.

If you just want it not to run, disconnect one of the leads on the switch on the receiver dryer. It will never go on. The aux fan should still come on when things heat up. It won't come on automatically with the compressor, of course, because the compressor will not come on. I do this in winter too, because I really don't like the AC to come on with the defroster when it's cold. AC defrosting is like an addiction. A cold windshield fogs faster when it's off, so you need to run it all the time. I prefer a little plain old warm air.

Why NOT just disconnect the leads to the compressor clutch?? Without electricity, the clutch will NEVER engage and the AC will NEVER go on.

I've seen defrost without AC, in many conditions it works just fine, maybe taking a little longer than with AC to fully defog, BUT in extremely moist and humid conditions, the windshield fog remains and its very difficult to drive.

So the AC really does help the Defog, but isn't really necessary except in the most extreme conditions.

Back