NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 25th, 2020, 22:23
NAXJA Forum User

disconnecting battery while welding info

I was burning some things in today and wondered if disconnecting both battery terminals was optimal. Despite everything you always read on here I was surprised to learn this information.

https://www.quora.com/Should-you-dis...h-a-24v-system

happy thanks giving all.
Old November 26th, 2020, 00:48
NAXJA Forum User

I've always heard to disconnect the battery but I never do. Havent had anything bad happen yet

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old November 26th, 2020, 08:36
Stranger

Re: disconnecting battery while welding info

When he says
Quote:
Today’s electronic devices operate at MUCH lower signal voltage levels than they used to. It’s what comes with trying to make processors operate faster and faster …
What "day" is today?

Does he mean anything with a computer? Like back to the early '80s? Or does he mean the current state of affairs with on board communication and navigation systems? Things have changed quite a bit over about 40 years.

FWIW, I have always disconnected the battery before welding. I haven't lost any components due to doing so.

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox
Old November 26th, 2020, 08:46
NAXJA Member

I have always disconnected the battery too. Other than trail repairs, a lot of the stuff I have repaired has either got a flat battery or a missing one.

So a question for the 'keep connected' camp. What would you do if you need to have emergency welding repairs done on the trail using a pair of 12v batteries?
Old November 28th, 2020, 07:44
NAXJA Forum User

Yes. Disconnect the battery
Old November 28th, 2020, 08:40
NAXJA Forum User

Haven't dis-connected a battery in over 40 yrs and done tons of vehicles. The key is not voltage but electro-magnetism. If your going to weld around those devices that could pick up on that you just shield them. Always place your ground clamp as close as possible to your welding and in a current path that's away from any of those devices.
Old November 28th, 2020, 19:03
NAXJA Member

I've never disconnected the battery. All good!

Looks as if it doesn't matter either way. Anyone with a bad experience?
Old November 29th, 2020, 08:32
NAXJA Forum User

Cars, motorcycles, tractors, never disconnected the battery, never had a problem. Guys at the local exhaust shop never disconnect anything either and weld on cars everyday.
Old December 4th, 2020, 21:48
NAXJA Forum User

some electrics remain on unless battery is disconnected. If on, they might be harmed from their ground side going high as might happen when welding, If the electronics is on when this happens, something might get cooked. It will take a special combination of events to do this, including the electronics in the nearby path of the welder ground current. Having the weld ground clamp very near the weld bead alleviates this problem to a large extent. Still, I prefer to disconnect battery ground to be on the safe side, I have never caused harm by doing so.
Id hate to blow a pricey stereo, or e.c.u. when welding on a friends fancy new fangled electronics loaded car because I was not in the habit of precautionary battery disconnection.
Old December 5th, 2020, 18:42
NAXJA Forum User

So when you say welding do you think type may change the answer? I mig on my Jeep and other vehicles with and without undoing the battery. I'm lazy, forget, etc. I have been wary of using the high freq start Tig on my vehicles in general. As a matter of fact one day I was using the Tig on my welding table and the ground came off without me knowing. It gave me quite the joult! So no Tig on the Jeep for me...
This is just pertaining to hf start machines though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk