• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BOD requirements

Should Members of less than 1 year be allowed to serve on the Texla Chapter BOD?

• Yes

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • NO

Votes: 13 59.1%

• Total voters

goodburbon

NAXJA Forum User
Texas/ Louisiana MEMBERS ONLY please.

This Poll is a vote on wether or not we should make an exception to the Requirement that BOD members must be members for at least one year before holding office. Once this is established, we can hold elections and get a set of Bylaws ratified.

Thats a hard descision. I mean do u mean less then a one year payed member. Or less then a year being here. Some may have not payed before becuase there was no Texas/LA chapter. I mean I for one have been in several Auto Clubs over the past 10 years. But I also dont know how a BOD works because I have never been on one.

We'll give it till Friday, if it is still tied the current National rule should stand, and ony those who have been paid members for 1 year or more shall hold BOD positions.

FYI on the time: Give it more than 24 hours before you bitch about people not voting. Since we have no method to notify folks in an offline fashion about a poll, we have to wait until they meander by the forums. Since the real world often intrudes, you should expect at least a week before everyone sees the poll.

Hmm...this got me thinking. I suggest that when the Chapter goes official that we put together a member list that includes mailing address, phone number (?), and email address that the Chapter BOD can use to contact members about important issues. Forum activity should NOT be a requirement for membership IMHO.

Last edited:
Kendrik said:
FYI on the time: Give it more than 24 hours before you bitch about people not voting. Since we have no method to notify folks in an offline fashion about a poll, we have to wait until they meander by the forums. Since the real world often intrudes, you should expect at least a week before everyone sees the poll.

Hmm...this got me thinking. I suggest that when the Chapter goes official that we put together a member list that includes mailing address, phone number (?), and email address that the Chapter BOD can use to contact members about important issues. Forum activity should NOT be a requirement for membership IMHO.

X2

Less than a member for a year might be ok, but being registered for less than a year doesnt seem like a great idea to me.

File 05 said:

X3!

I just posted this in another thread here, hmmm...

"I would suggest that we consider waving the one year membership requirement in the bylaws for the first year while we are getting this chapter started. Then once the chapter is a year old, hopefully there will be a few more standing members (warm bodies) with at least a year of tenure available to run for the board.

That is if we are short handed on 1 year+ members. ???

I would rather have people that are willing, able, motivated, and have the time to see this first year through, than be worried about whether or not they had been a member for 12 months or 9 months.
"

I would think that we are going to elect people based more on their interest, drive, available time, and experience (?)....and not on when they decided to pull out thier check book and join.

I vote we wave the 12 month member requirement for the first year.

Then hopefully we can amend the bylaws to adopt the 1 year rule a year later.

Regarding Ramsey's concerns, I do not think any of us are going to vote for a nob, including any nobs that vote. But in reality most of us are going to be nobs of a sort when it comes to starting and running a new NAXJA chapter. :D

Who ever runs for the BODs should have some useful experieince to contribute to the BOD, but experience can take many shapes and forms.

One last thought. I would not have seen this thread had I not casually visted the forum. So why not use a specific thread that we all sign up for to be used for anouncements. The only other option is to sign up for the entire forum to be dropped in our email box. I thought of the "whats your 20 thread" as an option, but then I don't think we won't to bog that thread down with multiple official anouncements?

Man I am glad people are really starting to take more interest in this. I thought at first this wouldnt garner a lot fo attention because of how big the state is but it looks like I was wrong. Now if we can just get more people interested in joining NAXJA

I am going to toss in a small piece of advice for ya'll. Go with the 6 month thing, but for those that THINK they want to be BOD need to understand the HUGE amount of work it will be. I recomend trying to use people that either have been on a BOD or have a great level of devotion to give.

Good going here guys!

as long as i dont become bitter and cranky like the national bod, it'll be ok

only when i dont get my fix

When I was in basic training my DI wrote FFI "Failure to Follow Instructions" on my kevlar, while at the grenade range. I can't remember why, something about a pin, a spoon, and not throwing it after the spoon was released yada yada yada.

But I saw the poll and voted before following the instructions. I am a little bit enthused about this chapter, and my overzealousness got the best of me. I will be a member of this chapter, just not for another 9 months, please discount my vote if deemed necessary. Thank you, that is all.

Ben H said:
When I was in basic training my DI wrote FFI "Failure to Follow Instructions" on my kevlar, while at the grenade range. I can't remember why, something about a pin, a spoon, and not throwing it after the spoon was released yada yada yada.

But I saw the poll and voted before following the instructions. I am a little bit enthused about this chapter, and my overzealousness got the best of me. I will be a member of this chapter, just not for another 9 months, please discount my vote if deemed necessary. Thank you, that is all.

Nominated!

For the chapter BOD, not the Tard thread :D

If we had a BOD someone could move that we waive the 1-year rule, but since we're just starting lets see who wants to run and let the votes decide the issue, at least for the first election. Then the newly elected BOD can decide our future for us.

edit: voted.

If we do decide to waive that, is 6 months the time limit were gonna go with?

Back