• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New chapter name nominations /suggestions and discusion thread!

mikeforte said:
Sounds good except national may balk at us having ASS in our title.....jealousy you know. We get ASS and they don't.

Either that or they might think we were going to make an ass out of ourselves. Just use coonass, they will never know the difference, LOL.

So back to the subject, how are we going to settle this issue?

I am gald to see some real discussion of the pros and cons of the various choices going on here, along with the occasional humor. Much more fun than a bloody civil war over a chapter name.

So how about the Tejas chapter. Didn't parts of these states use to be called Tejas before we kicked Santa Ana's rear? Or Is my memory fading too. never mind, Louisianna was not part of Tejas.

So I looked up Red River and found this. Worth scanning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_River_(Mississippi_watershed)

Ecomike said:
Either that or they might think we were going to make an ass out of ourselves. Just use coonass, they will never know the difference, LOL.

So back to the subject, how are we going to settle this issue?

I am gald to see some real discussion of the pros and cons of the various choices going on here, along with the occasional humor. Much more fun than a bloody civil war over a chapter name.

So how about the Tejas chapter. Didn't parts of these states use to be called Tejas before we kicked Santa Ana's rear? Or Is my memory fading too. never mind, Louisianna was not part of Tejas.

So I looked up Red River and found this. Worth scanning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_River_%28Mississippi_watershed%29

This brings merit to my point of callit the Red River chapter. All 4 states tough that river. Its the one common thing they all have.

BIgDaddyChia said:
This brings merit to my point of callit the Red River chapter. All 4 states tough that river. Its the one common thing they all have.

After seeing that I tend to see the connection. Thought I knew geography, but that sure was unknown to me.
I still like TXXJA, but won't fight the Red River thing if it comes to a toss up between those two don't know which side I'll fall on. Have to sleep on it I guess.

So I take it the Texlexico and RedNeck CoonAss names have sailed on down the RedRiver into the pages XJ chapter history now, :laugh3:.

Ecomike said:
So I take it the Texlexico and RedNeck CoonAss names have sailed on down the RedRiver into the pages XJ chapter history now, :laugh3:.

I believe so. I can live with whichever name we decide. Even if It's ArklOtex.

Oh crap did I just make another suggestion.

Being an Arkie I have no problem with TXXJA as the chapter name if it's favored by most.....or maybe "XJs Ya'll" since "RedNeck CoonAss" didn't quite make the cut. South Central does kinda make you think of an area of California, Mid South was suggested somewhere, "North Mexico" would acurately describe what most of our area is becoming :doh:

i've been searching for some sorta geographical feature or whatever that's common to this area (AR,OK,TX,LA) but have come up empty... Red River seems to be the best common denominator of the region...

i was hoping to find something for example, Gulf Coast Chapter (TX,LA,AB,MS etc..) or the Sierra Chapter...

also was working on a historical angle, some sorta Louisiana Purchase, Republic of Texas thing but came up empty there too...

maybe this will spark something from you guys...

rokclimbertx said:
i've been searching for some sorta geographical feature or whatever that's common to this area (AR,OK,TX,LA) but have come up empty... Red River seems to be the best common denominator of the region...

i was hoping to find something for example, Gulf Coast Chapter (TX,LA,AB,MS etc..) or the Sierra Chapter...

also was working on a historical angle, some sorta Louisiana Purchase, Republic of Texas thing but came up empty there too...

maybe this will spark something from you guys...
I'm sparkless. Maybe Red river is the best we are going to do. I don't much like it but it has the only thing, so far, that ties the 4 states together.

There are other things that the four states have in common. I'm think it would be a bit to controversial though. That area they all share is also known as "Little Dixie," seems that a fair number of lessor land owners who lost it all during the civil war relocated there.

Jay VT said:
There are other things that the four states have in common. I'm think it would be a bit to controversial though. That area they all share is also known as "Little Dixie," seems that a fair number of lessor land owners who lost it all during the civil war relocated there.
I think we are looking for a geographical link, but that is an interesting historical tid-bit. Did you come up with any other links which we might be able to use?
I,for one, did hope that the concensus would lean towards goodburbon's suggested title of TXXJA. That associates the members with a recognizable place which Red River fails to do. We now know the geography includes all 4 states in the river's path, but those who have not read that little known fact would not.
I'll go with whatever the majority decides even if it is Gobbledegook chapter.

It was just a bit of worthless information I found while searching my family history.

It will be tough to come up with a more geographic description than the Red River. The diversity of Texas landscape alone is awe inspiring. I like the TXXJA name myself, but tends to leave the other states in the chapter lacking an identity.

Dude you forgot the Radiers, Bears, Aggies, Cowboys...

mikeforte said:
I think we are looking for a geographical link, but that is an interesting historical tid-bit. Did you come up with any other links which we might be able to use?

Well...... Caddo Chapter also links the four states historically.

The Caddo cultural pattern developed among groups occupying conjoining parts of Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas from A.D. 700 to 1000. These groups practiced agriculture, hunting, and trading and lived in dispersed family farmsteads associated with regional temple mound centers. Their elite leadership institutions and an emblematic material culture distinguished these groups. Accounts portray a well-organized society, one that traced ancestry through the mother's line, that filled leadership positions by male inheritance, that had a calendar of ceremonies associated with important social and economic activities, and that had widely extending alliances. In this region, the Caddo preserved key social, political, and religious institutions.

Once again useless information, but it is another link :roll:

Or we could annex New Mexico and then we would be FEMA Region ^

Last edited:
BIgDaddyChia said:
I was going with the states main team.

There are alot of people in College Station who would debate that.

Boomer Sooner!!!!!!!!

Caddo is cool but I thought they also stretched their family enclaves southward to about Mexico City area. So lets annex Mexico into the chapter then I won't be all the way down here isolated from the majority of the membership. I'd only be halfway from our southern border. Whatcha think. Does NAXJA have any members in Mexico???

I feel like a real tard for missing the obvious name, my wife came up with this:idea: .

Texas Oklahoma Louisiana Arkansas

TOLA

JayVT... i worked on that Caddoan Culture angle too but without much luck...

the TXXJA thing seems a bit like we're seceding from NAXJA to form our own republic...

now as far as TOLA... i'm diggin' that one... plenty of other options with that as well...

ALOT chapter
TOAL chapter
LOTA chapter (it's a big chapter after all)
ATOL chapter (ditto "a tall")
TALO chapter

...... maybe i should get back to work on the logo......

Back