• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who is eligible

mikeforte said:
Not be disregarded because they only have a couple members in their section of their state. Say you were the only member from VanHorn and all the meetings and runs and get togethers were in Beaumont. You could find some good wheeling spots out your way, and with the approval of the BOD which you are in constant contact with, you can set up some weekend run and campout/BBQ or something and thus introduce your part of the state to the other chapter members who have never wheeled or camped or eaten in that type of area. Maybe in East Tx the norm is muddin but in West Tx there is rock crawlin and in North Tx there is trail riding everyone gets exposed to everything at different parts of an area as large as Tx/Ok/La. No one is left out. Everyone is treated to every part of every state "equally".

Absolutely agree, then. However, I think it's important that we draw a distinction between "Official" events and "Unofficial" events. From what I can gather, "Official" events are few and far between and require LOTS of work organizing sponsorship, gathering finances,etc. These are the chapter equivalent to Fall Fling, etc. These are the only events that require a BOD members participation and I believe the only events that can spend NAXJA money. The "Unofficial" events are much less organized and are really just a bunch of guys deciding to go to the same place one day based on one guys organizing attempts. I guess all I'm saying is that even if an official position isn't created, don't let that stop you from setting up your own events!

I for one would love to hit as many of the various areas as possible, but logistics can be a bitch, sometimes. ;)

mikeforte said:
Not be disregarded because they only have a couple members in their section of their state. Say you were the only member from VanHorn and all the meetings and runs and get togethers were in Beaumont. You could find some good wheeling spots out your way, and with the approval of the BOD which you are in constant contact with, you can set up some weekend run and campout/BBQ or something and thus introduce your part of the state to the other chapter members who have never wheeled or camped or eaten in that type of area. Maybe in East Tx the norm is muddin but in West Tx there is rock crawlin and in North Tx there is trail riding everyone gets exposed to everything at different parts of an area as large as Tx/Ok/La. No one is left out. Everyone is treated to every part of every state "equally".

While the majority of our membership is in the east texas (I belive it is called the I-45 Corridor) we will be making it a point to have official outings in all areas of the chapter at some time or another, It looks like there will be a bunch of unofficial runs in east Tx just because of the close proximity of the # of members there. If you have a place to wheel in south Texas you are our guy there for sure, and will most likely be heavily involved in that event.

I'm actually looking forward to wheeling all of these places, don't let the geographic location of the potential BOD fool you, just because we aren't as scattered as would be ideal for a representative government doesn't mean we are going to have our meetings in New Orleans.

Kendrik said:
Nah, that pretty much answered it. :) I'm thinking that you're still gonna be in trouble, though, since you're the only person who's spoken up that anywhere near your location. Hopefully we can pull some more folks from that region into participating.

Been calling everyone I know from this area with an XJ. Some have been out of town and others are too involved with the upcoming holiday. But if we don't have many people pushing for early voting and we wait for the OK guys to chime in here then maybe I will have better luck with the local guys. They have a 4X4 forum here and I am trying to contact known XJ owners on that forum, but there are only a couple most have pickups and YJ/TJs.
Thanks for your help so far. We will be talking more as this comes together. I will be on here off and on almost everyday, so bring up any questions you may have. I will be happy to tell you my side.
I proposed an area rep from here which included Corpus too so I know ratherbecamping is up there maybe he has a few people to contact

goodburbon said:
I'm actually looking forward to wheeling all of these places, don't let the geographic location of the potential BOD fool you, just because we aren't as scattered as would be ideal for a representative government doesn't mean we are going to have our meetings in New Orleans.

Why not I love N.O. Lived there awhile in the 60s. See i'm an old fawker. Lived off Chef M. Hwy and later off Ellysian Fields Blvd. Worked as a bus mechanic for a tour bus company for over a year.

Kendrik said:
I for one would love to hit as many of the various areas as possible, but logistics can be a bitch, sometimes. ;)

Official/Un-official I don't care as long as everyone is having a good time and are safe. Logistics require a lot of prior notice and planning. Thats what I'm all about. I'm not a spur of the moment kinda guy.

We have sand in Galveston!:rof:And its a lot safer than rocks and mud!:laugh:

And you can still wet!!!!

mikeforte said:

goodburbon said:
No salt water on my heep thank you very much, I just got done working on Kendriks pile of rust.

I live pretty close to SPI here and I agree. My 17 year old POS is going to stay away from salt water and remain rust free as long as possible. The 4X4 guys here all have pickups and most are rusty hulks. I want no parts of the beach with my XJ.

In Houston my Jeep gets a bath in the rain almost daily, so salt does not stick around here. You can always use the drive through car wash after you leave the beach.

Salt washes of, but rock damage :eek: does not wash off.

I really have not had any rust problems in 35 years of vehicles, except the truck of my 73 LTD which defines RUST. And I never even took it to the beach! The poor trunk design and rotting leaves (Humic acid) that get into the rain gutter under the trunk, as it sits under the trees in my driveway ate it up.

Ecomike said:
In Houston my Jeep gets a bath in the rain almost daily, so salt does not stick around here. You can always use the drive through car wash after you leave the beach.

Salt washes of, but rock damage :eek: does not wash off. .

Almost never rains here and beach salt, even with repeated washings, ate up my Dodge Power Wagon a few years back. Really loved that truck too.
Rock rash is a badge of honor.

Kendrik do we have an updated list of who is elgible? How is the Google earth thing going? Found a few people on other forums who reside in the right places but some turned out to be users not members. Best efforts so far have had produced just limited results.

Back