• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Knuckle Swap and Rim Size.

JonnyCat63

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Do the WJ knuckle swap they said, you'll love it! :looney:
So I did, and I do love it, but it was a little bit of work

Anyway, I'm running offset tie rod ends and my questions are as follows:

1. Looks like I'll be running 17" rims with around 4" of backspacing. I could maybe go with 16", but it looks really close with the offset TRE's. Not sure if I'll run aluminum or steel wheels. For those with similar set ups, what size rim and what material are you running? Backspacing? I will NOT be running spacers.

2. I'm going to run 33x12.50 MT's. What width rim do you all run with this size? I can do 8" or 9" in most of the rims I'm looking at. Any input? Or am I splitting hairs over 8" vs. 9"?

Thanks.
picture.php

16x8 and 3.75"bs is what I had to use on mine, wish I went 17s but I had the tires already.

Ran 8" wide with my 33s and now have 35s, no issues with either.

I'm running 16x8 4"bs DIY beadlocks and 17 x 9 4" bs with street tires.

Basically what I found cheap on CL over the years

It the past I had absent of ZJ 16" alloys as rollers

I have found the offset 1ton TRE's are a tighter fit than the WJ TRE's a lot of people use. They will clear 16x8's @ 4" BS when centered but as you turn to the extreme if your steering they will rub the inside of the wheel.

17's should clear fine.

I have found the offset 1ton TRE's are a tighter fit than the WJ TRE's a lot of people use. They will clear 16x8's @ 4" BS when centered but as you turn to the extreme if your steering they will rub the inside of the wheel.

17's should clear fine.

Your post leaves out OTK vs UTK and the type of offset tie rod. I agree, the picture in the first post is going to be super close with a 4" bs wheel and fit with a alloy wheel
The picture pos

Your post leaves out OTK vs UTK and the type of offset tie rod. I agree, the picture in the first post is going to be super close with a 4" bs wheel and fit with a alloy wheel
The picture pos

Who the F does a WJ swap and stays under the knuckle?

My post didn't leave it out as much as didnt consider anyone would bother

There are only two offset 1 ton tre's made and they are dimensionally identical so that doesn't matter either

17's should clear fine.

Thanks, Cal. Leaning towards 17", that's probably what I'll do.

What about 8" wide vs 9"? I'd like to do 8" with a 12.50 wide tire. The 4" backspacing is easier to find in a 8" width. Many of the 9" wheels I'm looking at come in 4.5" BS.

Seems like the consensus is 8" is fine. Any thoughts?

I saw the 1 ton tre in the pic and knew what you were asking.

8" wheel for a 12.5" tire is perfect. I have run them on 9 and 9.5 as well and it was fine, but you lose some sidewall flex.

I saw the 1 ton tre in the pic and knew what you were asking.

8" wheel for a 12.5" tire is perfect. I have run them on 9 and 9.5 as well and it was fine, but you lose some sidewall flex.

Thanks, I'll start looking to order some 17x8's. Funny how much I have been able to get done on the heep these past few days! :laugh:

Thanks for your input. I appreciate your contributions to this site!

Who the F does a WJ swap and stays under the knuckle?

My post didn't leave it out as much as didnt consider anyone would bother

The people I've run in to in Oregon/Washington. All UTK. I'm the only one OTK. Been running it since 2008. I thought I was the odd Duck

No. You have odd locals.

The setup I inherited appears to have DubJ knuckles... and 15” rims. Unless there is another similar knuckle sold aftermarket? With the double piston brake calipers I just assumed wj. Also is under the knuckle.. to gain the inch of clearance To go ok I’d have to clearance the coil spring perches. Not a big deal either way, but might be why those folks have it under like mine.

picture.php

Pretty sure this is a dubj knuckle... 15” rims. I’d have to shave the coil mounts a tad to go OTK. Not sure if it’s origin though

Let's see the caliper. That sorta looks like a tera knuckle

picture.php

Wj brakes but first gen non Akebono
Prolly why I don’t have any clearance issues with 15s

picture.php

Last edited:
Back