• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ “Frame” Jack/Jack Stand Points

jnewell

NAXJA Forum User
I hate to ask this question but none of the pics I’ve found are very good, and the diagrams are useless.

For using a floor jack and placing jack stands on the front “frame” (to allow the front suspension to be completely free, is it correct that I can use the frame just behind the rear LCAs? This looks very sturdy. Any reasons to/not to use a piece of 2x4 to spread the load a bit?

Thanks for humoring me. I really want to make sure I don’t damage/bend/deform anything.

Yep, I do it depending on what I need to get at. More often, I jack under the axle, then put my jack stand just behind the LCA. On the rear, it's just inside the front spring mount.

I honestly have always jacked from the axle. then set jack stands upder my transmission mount
it's far enough forward for most work.

Thanks both. Primary goal here is to replace the factory original bump stops on the front. I guess they've gotten hard and shrunk. One fell out of its mount. Should be no big deal as long as I can get full extension on the front coils.

just make sure the 2x4s don't slip.

Back