• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ECGS disc brake conversion

NathanJ777

NAXJA Forum User
My current drums are making a rubbing/humming sound when I let off the brakes. The sound stops when I speed up or press the brakes. Doesn’t seem to start until the brakes have heated up some. It’s driving me nuts. Rather than rebuild the drums I’m thinking about changing them for discs. Anyone installed ECGS Dana 35/44 disc conversion kit? I’m thinking about getting it but was wondering how complete it is. I have a D35 with ABS 😒. I know my ABS will be done once I make the swap but was wondering about my portioning valve or anything else I may need to change/adjust.

What year is your XJ? That kit is for early model 35/44's.

The ECGS set is for the early axles that have press-in bearings, your axle has a floating axle with needle bearings. The axle retaining plate/flange is totally different.

I think terra flex offers a complete rear disc brake kits for the 8.25 axle. Has proportion valve included. Might as well upgrade the axle shafts when you do it.

I believe that the teraflex kit is basically Ford 8.8 stuff.

G2 makes a kit, it includes everything but the prop valve and parking brake cables. I think it's basically the same parts that are found on late '90s Rangers and Explorers.

They do, I'm very happy with mine. Other than the cables it's a nicely put together kit. Can you do it cheaper, sure. But it was nice to have one box with all the parts.

I haven't done the valve, right now I see no reason to. The vehicle stops well, even during panic stops. No early rear lock up. I might try it someday.

They do, I'm very happy with mine. Other than the cables it's a nicely put together kit. Can you do it cheaper, sure. But it was nice to have one box with all the parts.

I haven't done the valve, right now I see no reason to. The vehicle stops well, even during panic stops. No early rear lock up. I might try it someday.

Sure, anyone can do it for cheaper if they enjoy running around and looking for parts that aren't too crusty. There's very few junkyards near me and even fewer with XJ or equivalent parts, so for $350 or whatever it was, I didn't really sweat it and it was nice to have brand new, clean parts. I eventually got the cables for a little over $20 each off amazon.

I did the valve after snagging one from a ZJ just because it was there during a junkyard trip, but you'll probably never notice the difference under normal braking.

KJ and there's M.O.R.E. and some others that make cables for this.

Back