• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS and disk conversion

jlogandro

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for some help understanding how to improve my brakes on my XJ. I have a 97 with about 5 inches of lift, 33s, off road swaybar, HD steering set up. I swapped out the D35 with a D44 from an 88 XJ and added rear disks from a 98 Grand Cherokee. Since the Grand disks did not have ABS, I cut the ABS lines running to the rear axle. The brakes work fine w/ normal stops, but heaving braking at highway speed is not pretty. Last time I had to come from 55 to 30 quickly, the rear end started bouncing. I did not feel/hear a skid, but definatly a few rounds of bouncing coming from the rear end. After looking into this a bit, I learned that a brake proportioning valve would help me dial in the rear brakes, so I added one. What I am stuck on is what to do with the ABS in the front? Since I cut the rear lines, does the front still have ABS? or is the ABS system actually working against me now that it is only partially disconnected? Am I best off cutting the front ABS lines now? Is there anything else I need to do? A buddy with a well built CJ told me to take the BB out of the OEM proportioning valve (rendering it freeflow) and allow the added aftermarket proportioning valve to regulate... however a local brake shop I spoke with informed me that I should not need to remove hte BB and the OEM proporting valve will have no effect at this time? Can anyone help? I use my XJ as a DD mostly at this time, and weekend excursions to the dirt when time permits; so I want safe brakes on the road. Did I mention I now have a 2 month old little girl, so safe brakes are a priority. Thanks to any that can help!:us:

Do not mess with the prop. valve on a street truck. If you think the rear end hops around now, just wait,...

Pull the ABS fuse and it will disable the system. You'll have normal(non-abs)braking.
There's a thread here where someone converted a D-44(with discs) to ABS. I can't find it, but I'm sure someone will chime in with the link. If you want to keep ABS, it can be done, you just have to take the time to understand the system and get the parts in.

Thanks. I am not set on keeping the ABS; but would be interested on reading what can be done to set it up on the rear 44 just to know. Anyone know where this write-up/post is? I looked for it. I found a lot on how to do the conversion; but nothing on the ABS aspect.
My goal is to have good brakes, front and rear. I do not feel that ABS is necessary for the brakes to be good; but need to understand if I currently have ABS up front now, non ABS all around (since I cut the rear ABS lines) or the worst case senario - the ABS regulator is going crazy when it thinks there is something not right with the braking since the rear lines are not connected.
I will start with pulling the ABS fuse and see where that take me since that is easily reversible where as cutting the lines is not.
After I get the current set up dialed in, I do plan on looking into what can be done to improve the stopping power of the front disks.

Any time one part of an ABS system is removed or doesnt work anymore, the whole system stops working and returnsthe vehicle to normal non antilock brake operation. So seeing as you cut your rear ABS sensors off, you have been running non ABS already. As far as the hopping rear end, I would have to agree that having a factory prop valve and an aftermarket prop valve just sounds stupid. If I were you Id get rid of both and put in a ZJ prop valve if thats what you said you got the rear brakes from, either that or JUST run the aftermarket adjustable and dial it in to suit your needs. Just seems stupid to be running two of them. The XJ prop valves are known to quit working anyways, so just get rid of it and go from there. Good luck.

There's a thread here where someone converted a D-44(with discs) to ABS. I can't find it, but I'm sure someone will chime in with the link.

Negative, that was on a drum 44!

Negative, that was on a drum 44!

Negative, it was on a disc swap D44. He used the stock sensors and tone rings from his stock axle.

Edit: Damn, now I can't find it.

Last edited:
Negative, it was on a disc swap D44. He used the stock sensors and tone rings from his stock axle.

Edit: Damn, now I can't find it.

Ummmm........ negative ghostrider, I have read EVERY 44 thread here and none were of the disc44 w/ABS. Unless I missed something, which I doubt! The only 44 w/ABS thread was a drum44. I also tried to find a thread and had no luck, so it would seem this is a he said she said....... sort of thing :laugh:

this has been covered several times, Just pull all your ABS fuses and relays, clip all the ABS wires and your brakes will work fine. If you still get wheel hope in the rear because of the disc conversion, it's time to mess with the prop valve.

maybe you are thinking of an article for adding disc brakes to a D35 and keeping the ABS?
i have that article saved in a PDF.
trying to think of where i got it.

hmmm
i think you are right though, there was an article somewhere on D44 and adding in ABS...
i think i came across it when searching for the D35 with ABS disc swap

Thanks for everyone's help. Now I have a stupid question... "Just pull all your ABS fuses and relays, clip all the ABS wires and your brakes will work fine" ... what relays do I need to pull? I am not familiar with relays. I know this is basic; but gotta start learning somewhere. Also, if I pull the fuses and relays, why do I still need to cut the ABS lines? Just b/c they are there? If the fuses and relays are pulled, wouldn't the ABS lines just serve as 2 needles lines hanging down with my brakelines? Thanks!

you can leave the wiring, incase someone down the road ever wants to put stuff back they have less hassel.
there is a fuse block under the hood by the battery open that up.
the black squares are relays, they pull straight out
on the bottom of the lid is a "map" of the fuse and relays pull anything that is labeled with ABS.
there is probably also a large fuse associated with the ABS not just a relay.

Back