• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR Adventure Roof Rack

NOTNSUV

You Guys ROCK!
Anyone have the new JCR rack? The older version is discontinued. Like the setup on this one, I know it's expensive, no I'm not a welder/fabricator.
I've looked at a bunch but not seeing anything with the versatility and also aluminum and from someone with a good QC reputation.
Will NOT be hauling a spare up there, maybe RotoPax, hi-lift, recovery tracks, axe/shovel.

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJRK.html

I would want something that doesn't rely on the gutter mounts to secure it.

I would want something that doesn't rely on the gutter mounts to secure it.

There are very few baskets that mount to OEM tracks.
Are you suggesting something bolt on?

Yes if you intend to throw a spare up there, I've seen a entire rack fly off under emergency braking!

Not sure what mounting option RCP is referring to... that rack is imo one of the better ones on the market. With 6 gutter tie ins it'll be plenty strong for your listed needs. Tires on the roof is silly imo any how.

The low profile of it is slick, and the design also looks very nice. The price is the only thing I'm not wild about... whe I build one if its half as good as that ill be doing pretty damn good

Not sure what mounting option RCP is referring to... that rack is imo one of the better ones on the market. With 6 gutter tie ins it'll be plenty strong for your listed needs. Tires on the roof is silly imo any how.

The low profile of it is slick, and the design also looks very nice. The price is the only thing I'm not wild about... whe I build one if its half as good as that ill be doing pretty damn good

Dang sure should have learned to weld/fab years ago. Gonna keep looking but so far I like this one and JCR is plastered all over my rig so obviously I like the quality. Aluminum might be a bit flexible on the crossbars but I'm pretty sure they engineered it for some weight (200# road rating).

As long as your don't carry anything heavy you will be fine. XJ's are top heavy enough by themselves so you don't want to add a lot of weight or height up there. I think the best use of that area is a roof top tent if you plan to go on many off-road trips.

As long as your don't carry anything heavy you will be fine. XJ's are top heavy enough by themselves so you don't want to add a lot of weight or height up there. I think the best use of that area is a roof top tent if you plan to go on many off-road trips.

You advice not to carry too much weight up top, but then in the very next sentence suggest a RTT? :roflmao:

RTT are one of those items that sounds good on paper, but not practical in use. The tent is stuck on the roof while you wheel. I'd rather set up camp and go wheel without all the added gear. If I am overlanding I can place the gear lower inside the vehicle.

You advice not to carry too much weight up top, but then in the very next sentence suggest a RTT? :roflmao:

RTT are one of those items that sounds good on paper, but not practical in use. The tent is stuck on the roof while you wheel. I'd rather set up camp and go wheel without all the added gear. If I am overlanding I can place the gear lower inside the vehicle.

Agreed. Opinionated rant time! Roof top tents are likely the worst items created...but sure don't sell like it. Good ones are about 10-15x more expensive (plus costs for proper mounting) than a great ground tent that sets up in about 5 minutes, they are prone to damage from tree/rock rub, and are a lot of extra bulk/weight. I find them to be an insane purchase for next to no extra comfort compared to a regular tent with an air mattress/pad.

They have their place, but I can't see where that place really resides.

RTT is not something I've even considered, nor will I, for all the reasons stated above plus I'm too old to be climbing up and down a ladder to pee 3 times a night or doing a balancing act on the roof.
X-Bull recovery tracks, shovel, possibly hi-lift, but that's already mounted on my tire carrier with RotoPax, and maybe some other light weight stuff.
Just rolled a SxS elk hunting, don't need to do that ride again.:twak:

I've been looking at this thing and it's all bolt together... There's nothing terribly difficult to fabric here just fabbing the 4 sides and adding mounts... The aluminum cross rails just bolt in which I'm not a huge fan of but they say it will hold 200lbs which is more than most. I keep thinking maybe its worth trying to build with a steel frame and aluminum rails. Then I can weld the outside together and bolt in the rails. I'm pretty sure I can buy the same extruded stock rails either powder coated or double anodized for about 1/3 the cost of this one and build the rest from steel. It would still be lighter than my current rack.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I've been looking at this thing and it's all bolt together... There's nothing terribly difficult to fabric here just fabbing the 4 sides and adding mounts... The aluminum cross rails just bolt in which I'm not a huge fan of but they say it will hold 200lbs which is more than most. I keep thinking maybe its worth trying to build with a steel frame and aluminum rails. Then I can weld the outside together and bolt in the rails. I'm pretty sure I can buy the same extruded stock rails either powder coated or double anodized for about 1/3 the cost of this one and build the rest from steel. It would still be lighter than my current rack.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
I have removed my factory roof rack because it was falling apart (too many ladders and lumber hauled around). I found all the bolts were rusting where they go through the roof. Luckily it was just surface rust, so I sanded, cleaned and sprayed the roof with raptor liner (great stuff so far). I did not reinstall the roof rack because I am going to build my own. I found https://www.tnutz.com/ and am planning to build my own gutter mounts. I want a solid piece of 1/8th inch plate the length of the rack to sit in the gutter with 4 or 6 clamps to lock it down. My thinking is to spread out the weight distribution across the whole gutter instead of 4 or 6 1 inch or so contact points, which could up the capacity of the rack. Plus I can make it sit higher or lower from the roof, which ever looks better.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back