• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Last weekend I rented a mini excavator an ripped up a bunch of stumps and tress.

Last weekend I rented a mini excavator an ripped up a bunch of stumps and tress.

Yeah, you ran it like a boss. It looked like that would be a lot of fun to run one.

Yeah, you ran it like a boss. It looked like that would be a lot of fun to run one.

It was interesting. Joysticks made it easy. If I ever buy the land I want. 100+ acres in the upstate. I'll buy one to make the trail system.

Well, turns out axle bearings on the Grand Cherokee wasn't my issue. It was the pinion bearing. That's a whole different animal. Guess I'm swapping axles after all.

Well, turns out axle bearings on the Grand Cherokee wasn't my issue. It was the pinion bearing. That's a whole different animal. Guess I'm swapping axles after all.

I'm interested in the brake backing plates off the old axle if they are usable.

They are yours. We should find a time for a wrenchfest and we can swap the axle on the lift and pull off what you need.

I love being able to do my own work. Last time I had an O2 sensor replaced on the ZJ it cost me about $200 at the shop. Doing both of them this time myself with a part ordered on Rock Auto for a total of $45.00

I love being able to do my own work. Last time I had an O2 sensor replaced on the ZJ it cost me about $200 at the shop. Doing both of them this time myself with a part ordered on Rock Auto for a total of $45.00

Be careful with Rock Auto. I'm done with them. We got a fuel pump that was a few years old from them.

How did you know it was old stock?

How did you know it was old stock?

When it failed after a couple months we ordered direct from the manufacturer, Carter. The package was different. We started looking closer and the one from rock auto had a copyright date from 5 years ago.... I have not ordered from them since. Of course most parts these days are junk.

Girls are with their mom and family isn't traveling this week, so my Thanksgiving will be taken up with swapping a rear axle on one of the ZJs. Then...maybe some Chinese food....Fa ra ra ra ra

I got the exhaust fixed on my XJ, by replacing the header gasket, and adding a muffler and tailpipe. It sounds so much better! I may actually fix the radio, now that I could actually hear it! I also fixed a couple of oil leaks, and Herculinered the whole thing. The crappy rolled on paint job from 4 owners ago was in pretty rough shape, and looked like hell when he first did it. Now the jeep looks pretty cool, as long as you stand far enough away. I still have some rust repair to tend to, and would like to replace the front seats, but the XJ is once again worthy of Daily Driver Duty, which is where it was when I sold it back in 2012.
It's not nearly as smooth and quiet as my Subaru daily driver, but quite a bit more fun!

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=b8af0b1e43f031d72c4b07fcfd5b96ab&oe=5FE1E31E

Swapped a new (junkyard) axle into the 96 ZJ. Took me an hour and 45 minutes to remove the old and dress the new, and then an additional hour and 15 minutes to replace. If I had it to do over, I would not have separated the calipers and the brake lines, but I did, so now I need to bleed the system...and still need to fill the differential.

Who'd have guessed that Walmart would be closed on Thanksgiving. Now I need to leave all that for tomorrow when I can buy the fluids.

Got the XJ home.

17eefc13055fba0c5339b53d966d223d.jpg

6419453f550a17842278318a2f83c385.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the XJ home.

17eefc13055fba0c5339b53d966d223d.jpg

6419453f550a17842278318a2f83c385.jpg

Where had it been? I remember your XJ back in the beginning. It’s a great Jeep and now it’s getting better.

Where had it been? I remember your XJ back in the beginning. It’s a great Jeep and now it’s getting better.

I was doing all of the fabrication in a separate garage space since I was living in an apartment for the last three years. Just bought a house so I got it finished enough to bring home and finish the build.

High2by came over today and we worked on getting the power steering pressure and return lines replaced on a 1998 XJ. We then installed a new Fel-Pro valve cover gasket. The Jeep has been sitting and the brakes were a bit spongy so we bled the rears. It’s now ready to be driven this winter.

Last edited:
Good work Ed and Mark.

I still have issues with both of my ZJs. The '96 has a speedo and a tach that stopped working when I changed out gauge needles (thread in the ZJ forum), and after replacing the O2 sensor in the '98 I got an upstream O2 code and a gross exhaust code - and it sometimes hesitates under load.

Back