• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Satellite antenna install

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
So the wife got me Sirius for Christmas. The instructions call for a 12" x 12" clear area free of roof racks etc, to mount the antenna. Herein lies the problem, I have a full length roof rack. Has anyone used a different mounting location other than the roof? How was the reception? Will I have problems with interference from the rack if I do mount the antenna on the roof?

karstic said:
So the wife got me Sirius for Christmas. The instructions call for a 12" x 12" clear area free of roof racks etc, to mount the antenna. Herein lies the problem, I have a full length roof rack. Has anyone used a different mounting location other than the roof? How was the reception? Will I have problems with interference from the rack if I do mount the antenna on the roof?

Just put it on the center of the hood. :cheers:

karstic said:

I cheated :D I have XM and I got one of the home antennas for my jeep (requires no ground plane and no metal) and I used double sided sticky tape to mount it in the center of my dash as close to the window as I could get it. I do have slight problems with it as every so often (while it still happens, it's very rare) I loose signal (that's ussually associated though with being in mountain areas and canyons or trees, so it's hard to say if it's antenna placement or other things).

i put mine on the corner of my roof, ignoring the 12x12 stuff. it works fine, except when in deep canyons or at this one taco bell drive through.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll try a few different locations until I decide on a permanent location. Anyone have any kind of problems with interference from/with CB or ham radio antennas?

I have mine installed on the hood of my TJ, never had a problem.

In the real world the antenna likes about 1 1/2" to 2" of space all around it.
Go into the menu on your satellite receiver, there will be one called signal (click on that) then like 5 or 6 bars will show up on the screen. This is your real time receiving signal. Keep an eye on it (or have someone watch it) and move the antenna to different spots on your XJ till you can get the most bars. This works best in a parking lot or some place with no trees or buildings close.
Once you get the most bars you can that's your sweet spot, mount it there.
Try to get at lest half the bars or more...

One last thing.. I find if you can mount it on the drivers side you will have less problems with losing reception when driving (being that on most roads the trees overhang the road to the right and in the middle of the road usually has little or no tree overhang). Oh and if you live in a snow area make sure and wipe it off (salt and/or snow) because it will kill your signal.

karstic said:
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll try a few different locations until I decide on a permanent location. Anyone have any kind of problems with interference from/with CB or ham radio antennas?

I bought mine when I was driving tractor trailer last year. I had the satellite antenna mounted to a metal plate right next to the CB whip antenna and it never had a problem. Now cell phones are a deferent deal, my Nextel phone will come over the speakers when it rings or when I'm talking with the satellite radio on.

Elwood77 said:
Noe cell phones are a deferent deal, my Nextel phone will come over the speakers when it rings or when I'm talking with the satellite radio on.
Umm yeah, but that interference is not coming from the antenna or antenna cable but one of the other wire hookups or the receiver itself.

Back