• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box question

WNC2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've replacing everything on my front end (axle assy, steering, suspension, control arms... literally everything short of the sway bar, which is going to be replaced with a rockjock). While getting the alignment yesterday, the guy stated my steering box had a ton of slop. He split the difference of the slop for the steering wheel to be aligned, but stated I should look into replacing it.

The question here is, should I go back to reman/OEM, or upgrade it? I've always known about Redhead since I have an older model F150. I contacted them about rebuilding mine or sending them mine and they send another back to me off the shelf. Off the shelf, it would be a 15:1 ratio. They said they could upgrade mine or an off the shelf unit to a variable ratio worm gear to a 13:1 to 19:1.

I know Redhead will also port their units for hydro assist, but I don't really plan to ever go to hydro assist.

I also know there are several other options out there, just looking to see what others opinions are of the redhead as well as my other options I might not have heard of.

I would definitely not put stock back on if you can help it.

Red head and blue top boxes are both good and the companies have in the passed been in bed with eachother .

You could loosen the nut on the top and turn the adjuster a fuzz tighter and see if it tighten up alittle. A 1/4 turn should make a feel able difference

You could probly get a junk yard one for a few bucks and send it in to get builtvand upgraded to save on down time.
40b405e0c2d01bfc80c90480368e7903.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Drill and tap it for hydro yourself before installing the new steering box. Put caps on the fittings.

I would definitely not put stock back on if you can help it.

Red head and blue top boxes are both good and the companies have in the passed been in bed with eachother .

You could loosen the nut on the top and turn the adjuster a fuzz tighter and see if it tighten up alittle. A 1/4 turn should make a feel able difference

You could probly get a junk yard one for a few bucks and send it in to get builtvand upgraded to save on down time.
40b405e0c2d01bfc80c90480368e7903.jpg

I don’t know why i didn’t think of a junkyard unit to send in to be built. I may take that route.

PSE and be done with it.

As much of a fan of the saying “buy once, cry once”, I don’t ever see myself needing the $850 big bore steering box. I just think it’s overkill with my goals of this build.

Maybe i can come back on here in a few years and tell you that you were right when i decide to pull the trigger on ton axles lol

I've had my jeep for about 5 years. I think virtually the only thing I haven't replaced or modified is tge steering box

My jeep steers pretty good after doing the pump mods.

Im definitely with you and not jumping for 850 dollar box and not sure how i feel about fast food parts store boxes

The red head built unit probly is the best option probably less than half of the big name boxes

I’m personally cautious about remaned steering gears. Personally be burnt with multiple that have the same issue you are trying to fix. The problem with most is that they don’t actually replace they worm gear, just clean it and seal it back up. Sure, you can tighten down the cap to remove some of the lash, but then you’ll create binding issues on either side of a strait steer condition. The issue is that most gear boxes live 99% of their life in a strait steer condition, so the teeth are going to inevitably wear out in that position long before you ever have issues at full lock. If you go reman… verify that it’s built with a new worm gear assembly, not just cleaned and painted.

PSE offers a standard duty gear box that is more of an OE replacement. I recall it being difficult to find on their site, but they offer one, give them a call. 100% new build, it’s even their own casting.

From your original post it sounds like redhead does their remans the “right” way. I’d you’ve been happy with them in the past it sounds like you know the answer to your own question.

Have it drilled and taped for hydro assist. Cap it if you don’t intend to use it. Adds resale, and room to grow. But it’s very nice to have even on a moderate tire size like a 35.

The OP didn't list any specs about tire size or lift. ??? Also, other factors would be steering upgrades. My latest build is 2" Lift and 31's. I do have cross over steering, OTK track bar and WJ Bir Brakes. I was going to replace the stock gear box, with a Durango one I rebuilt. After driving it, the stock box is VG. So, I'll keep it that way. I also, planned and bought a WJ PS Pump, remaned. I don't know if I'll replace the stock PS or not.
So, up to say 33's, I'd get Red Top or Blue Top to rebuild the stock box. No, direct experience with them though. I am on 32.5 on another build. The 'rebuilt' box from the part store is a bit sloppy after a few years. But I did go through DW. Also, I take it steel gear box bracket, possibly steering box brace?

I don't see the listing for PSC currently, but 5yrs ago I installed their gear box, pump, and pulley. I have 2 nearly identical 2000's and I love my one jeep now. I hate driving "lil sis" now as "big bro" drives so much better.
IMG_0379.JPG

other options I might not have heard of.

Completely reman steering boxes are stupid expensive. You sound like you can turn a wrench so look at rebuilding it yourself...not that complicated and lots of videos out there on that subject. If the slop if from lateral play in the sector shaft you can replace just the shaft bearing without tearing down the whole box.

West Texas Off Road is $700 to have a steering box ported and tapped. You have to mail them your box with either option they offer.
A Blue Top is $520 ported and I can't find a Redhead for a cherokee available.
Junk Yard boxes are less than $200 and you can drill it yourself thanks to irate 4x4. It is a 100% brand new unit designed for larger tires and lockers.

PSC Big Bore kit is $850 tapped.

Honestly I'd jump to a PSC if West Texas Off Road is on the table because of getting a 100% brand new unit, and NOT having to ship my steering box to be worked on, or as a core. I'm going with a Durango box from a junkyard, or the stock box, and tapping it for hydro assist and I have goals of starting a 1 ton axle swap this winter with tires 38" or larger as part of it. Just the Durango box on 33s is better than the stock.

you could also take time to rebuild the entire box yourself and tap for hydro assist while doing it. Saves yourself a lot of money.

At lunch I got on the topic of Jeeps and XJs. Guy had a pic on his phone of one that was hydro ported. It tapped on the front cap and then one of the top bungs was threaded. ???
He's on 33's. So, aired down for wheeling needed some additional help at time.

I forgot to post my build specs lol

2000 Sport. OME 3” lift with 2” pucks up front to level it with the rear leafs. I went with the 2” pucks because the rear leafs are apparently made for overland setups, and well.. I’m not doing an overland. Adjustable RC track bar is stock location, IRO HD tie rod and adjustable upper and lower CAs, new steering link, new(to me) front axle that’s fresh on fluids. New Falken Wildpeak AT3W 31x10.50R15.

For a $1000 Jeep and maybe $2000 in parts, i can’t complain.

6f3cb57abe4c24328a3daf06bf5b728c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At lunch I got on the topic of Jeeps and XJs. Guy had a pic on his phone of one that was hydro ported. It tapped on the front cap and then one of the top bungs was threaded. ???
He's on 33's. So, aired down for wheeling needed some additional help at time.

I’ve seen that too. Muddy beards off road on YouTube did a video on it. It looks like it’s pretty inexpensive too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back