• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fox ifp vs Bilstein 5100 for a daily?

It's done, I really like the improved street driving but I still need to check them out off-road. Probably won't be able to do that until later next week.

So how much better was the street driving? I just installed an IRO lift and they were back ordered on the Bilsteins, so I am running their trail tamer shocks and the ride is pretty harsh.

I took it out again last night and I can't believe the difference. I wished I had tried this 20yrs ago!

I was going to try a set on "lil sis" first, but now I just ordered another set for it (+2"0). The set I just bought for "big bro" were +4"!

I took it out again last night and I can't believe the difference. I wished I had tried this 20yrs ago!

I'll be honest. That what I was expecting when I eventually go with Bilsteins. I did them on my dad's f250 because I hated driving in that thing. I just did the yellow ones and it was amazing how much better that weird upside down arched leaf spring worked with a decent shock. I think they have to be a huge upgrade over my zone shocks now.

I still plan a shackle relocation and possibly a bastardization of the lead pack. I'm not opposed to such shenanigans. I even rolled leaf springs on a big slip roll once. It actually worked pretty good.

About a week ago I put on some Bilstein B8 5100 front/rear for 5-6" lift. Front: 24-185943 (collapsed 17", extended 28.44") Rear: 33-151663 (collapsed 15.9", extended 25.93").

I have a '99 XJ with 5.5" lift and 33x12.50 BFG KO (original) tyres. I immediately noticed that the ride around town felt like I was driving a new car. When going over speed bumps, my head didn't hit the ceiling anymore. My wife even commented that it drives a lot better now, and she hates my Jeep.

Previously, I had on the Rubicon Express monotubes, which were on for about 10 years. They still had their spring back in them, so they must not have been entirely shot. Back in 2003 I put on OME shocks, which ran really nice, but lasted not more than a year or two. I'm hoping to get more life out of these Bilsteins.

The trail tamer shocks aren't in my opinion harsh on a long armed rig.
If the lift is short arms id put the harshness blame on that not the trail tamer shocks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

About a week ago I put on some Bilstein B8 5100 front/rear for 5-6" lift. Front: 24-185943 (collapsed 17", extended 28.44") Rear: 33-151663 (collapsed 15.9", extended 25.93").

I have a '99 XJ with 5.5" lift and 33x12.50 BFG KO (original) tyres. I immediately noticed that the ride around town felt like I was driving a new car. When going over speed bumps, my head didn't hit the ceiling anymore. My wife even commented that it drives a lot better now, and she hates my Jeep.

Previously, I had on the Rubicon Express monotubes, which were on for about 10 years. They still had their spring back in them, so they must not have been entirely shot. Back in 2003 I put on OME shocks, which ran really nice, but lasted not more than a year or two. I'm hoping to get more life out of these Bilsteins.

To give you an idea of the life on the Bilsteins, when I bought my XJ in 2014, it had 5100's on the rear. One of them just started leaking last week. I'm not sure how long the PO had them, but it amounts to 7+ years.

Its amazing what decent fluid control inside shocks can do for enjoyment on the road and trail

I wonder what valving the bilstiens you guys are running have. I think bilstien offers 3 options depending on shock length and shock number

Its amazing what decent fluid control inside shocks can do for enjoyment on the road and trail

I wonder what valving the bilstiens you guys are running have. I think bilstien offers 3 options depending on shock length and shock number

They don't post the valving in their catalog for the XJ specific shocks that I'm running, but I ordered 275/78 for the front with my new 7100's. If only they'd come off backorder...

Well I installed the set on "lil sis" and love them to! I just ordered a third set for the Express2500.

I went with the 5125s due to the valving being better for my applications at 360/80. Unfortunately the travel options were limited in that valving offering, if I recall it's 10"s

I wish they would list the valving they use on the stock replacement shocks.

Thats one reason to go 5125 as theres more options and you know what your getting. Well kinda know

I was going to try a set on "lil sis" first, but now I just ordered another set for it (+2"0). The set I just bought for "big bro" were +4"!

Where are you buying the 5100s? And without rehashing all the conversations about length.. flex and measure?
Not planning bar pin eliminators so that might limit my selection.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Where are you buying the 5100s? And without rehashing all the conversations about length.. flex and measure?
Not planning bar pin eliminators so that might limit my selection.

Thanks.

I bought mine off of Amazon, Bilstein only offers 3 different length shocks so you would need to see which if any fit your application.

The 5125s are "universal" and offer many different lengths with eye/ eye or post/ eye. Bpe are effective to get more offerings from different companies. Again, finding my valving desires was tough and limited. Fox had one that would be comparable, but they were more $ and out of stock everywhere... so easy choice

Back