• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which cams, grrrr?

xj2k

NAXJA Forum User
I've read so many posts my eyes are going to fall out. I'm putting in a junkyard motor real soon. I'd like to up the power a bit. I was thinking a cam, intake, and exhaust was a good move. Every post I read about cams is about strokers or people say some page has good info on cams but it turns out to be a list of 10 different ones.

What cam will be the best upgrade for a stock motor. I can change the springs and retainers if need be.

any other upgrades anyone can think of doing while the motor is out??

Mark

I could tell you to search but that would get you back here so I would call Comp Cams and have one of their techs help you out. They know their stuff. But you might have already done that so, .02 worth of nothing. Juice

I have a whole list of aftermarket dual pattern camshafts for the 4.0 on this page:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Jeep4.0Camshafts.htm

If you're looking mainly for low/medium rev torque from a stock 4.0 long block (apart from home ported head) with a stock 8.8:1 CR, the best cam for the job is the Crane 750501.

Dr. Dyno said:
I have a whole list of aftermarket dual pattern camshafts for the 4.0 on this page:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Jeep4.0Camshafts.htm

If you're looking mainly for low/medium rev torque from a stock 4.0 long block (apart from home ported head) with a stock 8.8:1 CR, the best cam for the job is the Crane 750501.

excellent, I had looked at your list before but it did not mean anything to me and I think numbers can only tell so much, I tend to trust peoples experience more and was hoping someone would tell me what worked best for them. Yes, I am looking for low/mid torque so this should work perfectly. Will I have to change springs or anything else?

Thanks again,
Mark

Back