• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question regarding RC lift

BayStYat

NAXJA Forum User
I added a RC lift 3" to my 2000 XJ. The rear is over an inch higher than the front. I was told by RC that the the new leafs would settle in 10-14 days. Its been 6 weeks. Anyone have had this issue?

thanks

Yep, RC kits are very questionable!!!

Did you torque the leaf spring bolts with the tires on flat ground ? What have you done to promote leaf spring break-in ? Ideally you would disconnect the sway bar if present, load up with several hundred pounds of cargo, and then flex the springs repeatedly over some obstacles.

Did you torque the leaf spring bolts with the tires on flat ground ? What have you done to promote leaf spring break-in ? Ideally you would disconnect the sway bar if present, load up with several hundred pounds of cargo, and then flex the springs repeatedly over some obstacles.

Tim, i did tighten with tires on the ground. I did not however do any type of leaf break in. is that a normal process? I am new to this hobby

RC isn't the best Cherokee lift kit available, but since you own it, give it a try.

New leaf springs can be stiff and can result in taller than expected lift. The break-in period can accelerated. A day on the 4x4 trails would be the ideal break in.

RC isn't the best Cherokee lift kit available, but since you own it, give it a try.

New leaf springs can be stiff and can result in taller than expected lift. The break-in period can accelerated. A day on the 4x4 trails would be the ideal break in.

thanks Tim, does the rear sway bar have any effect on the hight of the leafs? I am also running stock rear shackles.

The sway bars will reduce flex on the 4x4 trails, lengthening the break-in period. Most people remove the rear sway bar when installing lift kit leaf springs. The shackles should be fine as is.

I should add that with a lifted Cherokee, the bump stops must be longer than stock, because over compressing leaf springs and/or bottoming out shocks is not good for them and can cause permanent damage.

The sway bars will reduce flex on the 4x4 trails, lengthening the break-in period. Most people remove the rear sway bar when installing lift kit leaf springs. The shackles should be fine as is.

I should add that with a lifted Cherokee, the bump stops must be longer than stock, because over compressing leaf springs and/or bottoming out shocks is not good for them and can cause permanent damage.

awesome info, thanks Tim

Tim, I live on the Gulf Coast in Mississippi. I will be doing tail riding/overnight camping with some light hills. We have generally flat ground. The norm around here is to go muddin. I will not be muddin. What can i do to a 2000 4.0L 3" RC lift kit 31"s, 231TC to improve performance? I plan on upgrading the steering with the ZJ V8 set up. Rear end is just a stock Dana 33. Looking for small upgrades that i would benefit from.

Thanks Buddy

I see you from the twin cities, I work for a large company based in the Twin Cities.

The steering is fine as-is, the Dana 35 not so much. The Dana 35 is the least desirable XJ axle because it has the potential to snap axle shafts even with an open differential and small tires.

If you have all the necessary on trail repair tools, self-recovery gear, skid plates and tow hooks, commonly needed spare parts, extra fluids, survival gear and food, your best upgrade would be a much more durable 29 spline Chrysler 8.25 rear axle from a 97-01 XJ Cherokee. Swaybar disconnects are beneficial. If the budget allows, a LockRight type locker in the Chrysler 8.25 rear axle will add to the off-road capabilities of your XJ.

Last edited:
The steering is fine as-is, the Dana 35 not so much. The Dana 35 is the least desirable XJ axle because it has the potential to snap axle shafts even with an open differential and small tires.

If you have all the necessary on trail repair tools, self-recovery gear, skid plates and tow hooks, commonly needed spare parts, extra fluids, survival gear and food, your best upgrade would be a much more durable 29 spline Chrysler 8.25 rear axle from a 97-01 XJ Cherokee. Swaybar disconnects are beneficial. If the budget allows, a LockRight type locker in the Chrysler 8.25 rear axle will add to the off-road capabilities of your XJ.

great info. How do i know what axles to look for. I have 3 XJs in the bone yard around the corner.

thanks a bunch

i honestly prefer the raked setup look... im running RE 3.5in with shackle relocater and IRO shackles with front 3.5in springs and a 2 in spacer.

I have probably the same RC lift you have. It took about 6 months for the rear springs to settle out properly. I use my XJ 90+% off-road on our farm and have had the lift on for 2 years. No problems with it and I very happy with it.

Back